Something to protect wooden posts from trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron's Lawn Care, May 22, 2006.

1. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

A customer called me and told me that they would like me to install something to protect the bottom of their wooden lamp post from being torn up at the bottom from my string trimmer. Do they make anything to protect something like that?

2. Lawns By Randy

Lawns By Randy LawnSite Member

hey I have had the same problem but with no complaints although I suspect I amy start to hear something good luck I will want to see if anyone had an answer!

3. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Yep go to the Home Crapper and get a some sheet metal.
    Cut out a enough to go around post and nail it in with some small nail tacks.

Cutomer of mine did that 4 years ago and its still there.

4. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Yep,

It's called dont hit the post with the trimmer and if you have to, use just enough throttle to do the job. Like maybe 1/4 and no more than 1/2 throttle.

I have gotten a couple of accounts from others where you could see where they trimmed. The LCO killed a couple of fruit trees by whacking it too close with the trimmer.

5. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

The type of wood that this post is made out of is really soft for some reason and is easily chipped away. Also, most of the damage was done by someone who was working for towards the end of last year.

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use the opportuinity to spray round up along his entire fence. Then you protect it and you don't have to trim it.

7. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

Try using 4" or 6" black corrugated drain pipe. Cut it to length then split it down the side and it will wrap it around.

8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We just explain to our customers that their expectations aren't reasonable if they expect someone to run a line trimmer at a thousand RPM close enough to trim grass growing around a fence post and never actually make contact with the fence post. Scuffing of the fence post is unavoidable.

This explanation seems to work with everyone as long as you are polite about it.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

9. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!

10. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Thats what I do...If done right it doesnt look bad, and it cuts trimming time WAY down