somethings wrong...less than 2 hrs per 5 gal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Nov 10, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

ok here I go again with another stupid mower ? ...something has gone haywire with my fuel consumption.Last 5 gal's I got 1.2 hours out of...the one before that was 2 hours for 5 gal's. Yes the Ultra Vac was running most(but not all) of that time. I used to get about 3.5 to 4 hours out of a tank of fuel. I have never checked it when the vac was on. Is this fuel per hour in the "normal" range with the vac on?? Like 2/3 more fuel consumption???.....yikes

I did do a fair amount of idling during both these times...I;m really embarrased to ask this but I will...I think the hour meter works as long as the engine is running ..right?

Brand new oil and air filter, mower runs fine....just sucking more gas than I remember from last year.....I hope you tell me this is normal...I cant afford down time right now....thanks

2. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

I can't think of any reason it would be normal to use 2/3 more fuel than you used to use. Is the engine an EFI? If so, you could have a problem with your injection system. I would definitely get it checked.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gar

Remember too you are spending a lot more time picking up leaves vs. just mowing. The last couple of weeks that you did mow you went through very fast since growth slowed up.

Nah, I don't think you're losing it...maybe just having a senior moment btw...LOL

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Ultra vac will use more fuel. Rod is correct, the mower is running more and harder when your dealing with leaves.

5. GarPA

from PA

Ok Rod ...let me put my cane down and try to type you a reply...last time I checked fuel consumption was in the growing season...now Rod, I dont care if I'm in leaves up to my ears, a little over an hour out of 5 gallons of fuel??????

6. GarPA

from PA

thanks eric...I knew I could count on you for advice. I typed that last message b4 I saw yours....like I said a little over an hour for 5 gals? I dont care so much about the cost of the fuel as I;m concerned there might be a small problem that could turn into a bigger one....

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

After re-reading the post, your right. 5 gallons in 1 hour is bad. Something is real wrong. Post this over at the eXmark forum or call the "eXmark" boys on the phone for help immediately. Even with the vac during leaf season I could run 4-5 hours on a tank.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Gar,
    Last I checked a 23 horse HP was using 2 gals. per hour during heavy cutting. Ya, I'd say there is a problem.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're right Gary...that is alot. Either you have a major fuel leak that is going undetected or it's something else. Has the amount of emision increased at all...like leaving the choke on for too long???

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

5 gal. @ 1.2 hour = 1 gal every 14.4 minutes. That is a quart every 3.6 minutes. 1 pt. every 1 min,48 sec.. 1/2 pint every 54 seconds.
    This is an unbelievable amount of fuel. Have you checked real good for leakage underneath while it is running? Are you sure that that particular tank wasn't a bit low before you started? (It's easy to do, I've ran out many of times thinking I had more gas in that particular tank than I did.).