Sometimes I think Lawncare is a Hobby

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by larryinalabama, Aug 29, 2012.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

As cheap as I am I simply cant compete with half the business out there, the only plus side to this year is I dont see very many new fellers out there. Mabey they figured out how expensive this business is to operate.

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

This is when you tell the customer $25 a cut is why the old LCO went broke and is out of business now.

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Trying to keep costs low. Added 4 new customers this year.

Then I had to buy 4 tires, road hazard, alignment, and sales tax to the cost of $986.

So slow to get ahead.

4. larryinalabama

Its rough, I dont know how We can do anythings any cheaper, I do nearly all my own repairs and order parts online. This is my 6th year and I find myself having to reinvest it a whole lot of equiptment, not to mention I did a bunch of stuff to my truck over winter.

Never seems to end, and then on the home front its the same story.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i had my mower engine bend a pushrod a week ago but it was fixed under warranty so that was free. mower was only at 299hrs and owner's manual says adjust valves at 300hrs. :laugh:

i'm gonna have to adjust them every 250hrs i guess. stupid kawi engines. next time i'm getting a kohler. :laugh:

everything else has been ok so far. i noticed one of my anti scalp wheels is kindof broken so i gotta buy another one of those. $13 a piece. i can't just buy 1 or i'll have one that's not worn at all and all the others worn down a bit. i'll have to get at least 2.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I hope the current state of my bank account isn't an indication of which of those I am lol. If I had to pay to take a s*** I couldn't do that till some invoices are paid... sure wish the remaining 1/4 of my lawns would start frickin growing.

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I feel you on that. I've got to send out monthly invoices in the morning, I hope my fast payers have their checkbooks ready. This season started latter than last year and 4 weeks of expenses after a low income winter is rough.

8. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

don't feel like the lone ranger
    end of last season I had to spend around 2k on a new engine(21 Kaw) for my small mower then right before Christmas another 1k around the house because I had a change in insurance policies
    ate hard into my winter money

9. larryinalabama

Well Im not sure if I own my business, or my business owns me.

10. larryinalabama

My winter money is all gone, its eighter sink or swim now.

So I had a little job this morning that required my 36" Ferrris because the grass was waist high. Well the during the recient storms a tree branch fell on and i noticed the aircleaner housing was broke, so there goes another 35$.

Im beginning to think it might be cheaper just to go fishing