Sometimes you get useful stuff from customers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Alot of times customers will come out and give us items that are no longer of any use to them, and the majority of the time, no use to us either ;) You know, shelves, cans of screws, some old used wire :D We usually take it and proceed to do with it exactly what they were going to do with it if they had not given it to us...throw it in the garbage :D But, I'd say 10% of the time you actually get something of value. Had one of those today.

We were doing three lawns a block over from another one of out customers. This guy lives on the corner of a 4-way intersection and down a hill. So his driveway and the street that run parallel to his drive both run down. Usually crap out of the back of trucks flys out as people take off making a left turn and heads down his driveway. I see him walking over with something in his hand. When he gets there he's like "can you use this? I found it in my carport the other day." It was an almost-full 5lb. roll of .095 Echo Crossfire line :D I like the Gatorline, but what the hell. The size I use and everything.
  2. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, had a customer "give me" a fairly new console color TV. Not an antique. It was recent, less than three years old. Anyway, I told her I didn't need it but I would ask if one of my crew would like to have it. ( Like these guys are the biggest scavengers in the world. Two years ago they came out of a backyard with a boxful 8 track tape cassettes???) Of course the crew chief jumped right on it. Two months later the customer asked that since she "gave me" the TV would I do some "free" tree trimming for her. I corrected her and informed her she had given the TV to the crew chief, not me and if she wanted the tree trimmed in exchange for the TV that was between her and the crew chief and it would occur on his time not mine. She said, "But I don't speak Spanish and I said no problem, "He doesn't have a truck or a chainsaw." Learned a good lesson that day. Beware of customers bearing gifts!!
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I got a extended echo hedgetrimmer that needed a new pull cord, it was exactly the same as the one that i already had. ive also got lots of cans of screws....
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

My driver picks up all kind of junk...........Worthless stuff
  5. quikag

quikag LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was given a nice big char-broil grill with a side burner attached just earlier today. Boy was that a nice tip. He also gave me two propane tanks. Gotta love those customers.....
  6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I have heard of clients giving cars as gifts before. All be it that the cars were not new, or top of the line, but they ran and were in descent condition. One of my friends had that happen just about a week or so ago.
  7. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We were given a window air conditioner. Knob was broken, but it works great.

We did a clean-up with a bunch of junk metal in the yard, turned it in for scrap at $30.00.

A pair of Electric :rolleyes: hedge clippers.

A desk that's in pretty good shape.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

one of my customers gave one of my employees some kind of driving wheel for his playstation 2. I thought that he was going to kiss their shoes for it.
  9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Sears leaf vac, golf bags, broken lawn chairs, old pesticide and herbs.
  10. Tidycut

Tidycut LawnSite Member

Just the other day I had a customer give me a suitcase full of cash. He said he didn’t need it anymore his mattress was already full.

Rick :p