Sometimes you have to say "no"

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Jan 26, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

.............."At any rate, I take it from your email that you are not able to work around the pricing and your quote stands as is.

I am afraid, however, that your quote is too high, and although am sure you would do a great job, I am simply not in a position to accept it.

Unless you are willing to reduce considerably your quote, I am afraid we cannot proceed.

I thank you for your time and wish you success with your new business – I know it is hard!
    Good luck!"

Sometimes you've just got to say "no" and my price is my price. The literally laughed (pissed me off and showed his arrogance) but just because someone doesn't like your price doesn't mean you fold. This was a $50,000 project.......refer to my signature haha

2. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

When I have someone that wants me to lower my prices I tell them its no problem....We'll just see what we can remove from the work to be done.

I never lower a price without decreasing the work to be done.

3. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I see it as an insult to the customer if I lower my price just to fit their budget. They might see it as me just over charging. If I lower the price as a result of editing the work to be done than it shows the customer I am charging for what I am doing.

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Was this the job with the big wall and patio?

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Thats it! The wife ended up with a yeah okay its pretty, you go do whatever deciding honey and then he jumped ship wanting to lowball. I sent him an email explaining it was not in the best interest of my company to proceed. "Give me a break" is what he said to my $50 per man hr rate. Yeah okay buddy, good luck and call me when everything falls apart! Its okay, he has the money to do it twice.

No sweat, I'm off to the next one. I know a lot of guys give but who says the customer isn't just trying to hustle you. I give sometimes if group projects are being done at once and I can reduce my costs but really, "give me a break".

6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

TThomas....your last post really got me chuckling. My saying for this area is "Why do it right the first time when you can do it twice?". About half my business is re-do's, in fact, that is what we are becoming well known for. This area is strictly price driven, they have no concern for quality, until it all fails.......and it does, and keeps me working almost full time.

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

How did he know you were charging 50 an hour? And that is kind of low.

Last year in the spring i got a call for what would of been a awesome raised patio. The homeowner drew out his own plan and i came in and made alot of drastic changes that would of landed this job in any block manufactures catolog.

However, the woman owned a business consulting company and without a doubt tried to take advantage of my young age. Tried talking me into doing the job a hair over cost. Said it would do great things for my company. yada yada yada, you know the talk.

Well i give them a price about 3k over my material cost. I thought this job would help my busines so much. They came out to a patio i already did and i liked my work. So i go back to there house and shot final elevations. When i am working out my numbers i realized i would loose my butt so bad it wouldn't even be funny. I called them and told them i couldn't do the job for what i orginally quoted, and i was going to pass on it. They went balistic!

They had a 10k budget, and were mad i wanted 16k to do a 24k patio!

I will never let myself get into a situation again like that.

If i have a feeling the customer will beat me up on price, i will walk before i even work out a price!

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I only take the home runs now. Used to get pushed around a little when I started off but now if I dont get my price I walk. Saves you headaches later on. Like when its time to pay up.

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Looks Like TTHOMAS was listening to a presentation from Paver Pete.

Anyway,

This is very common in this industry. very common in construction in general.

First and foremost - find out their budget. We even address this in our website. (click on link and scroll down) http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/about.html

Last week I priced a job that came to $18k. The lady said "my husband will want to get other quotes". Ok, fine! But there is no doubt in my mind that they'll get a quote of $13,000. No Doubt.

This business is getting harder and harder.

The demand for our services is here.

But so many people are working for so cheap, it's hurting me bad.

I'll bet you any amount of money that these people will find someone to do that $50,000 job for $38,000. And it sucks.