Son starting in 2004

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kinks711, Feb 15, 2004.

1. kinks711

kinks711 LawnSite Member

I'm starting my son in his own business and have about $9,500 more to spend. I already bought him a 1979 International 1700 with 30,000 original miles on it for $10,500. It has a snow plow and sander. I want to get a trailer and all new equipment for him. I am going to get an enclosed trailer- maybe a Haulmark. I have no idea what kind of accounts he'll get and want to know what kinds of mowers to get as he will be starting this year.:blob3: Maybe he'll earn enough to move out:blob4:

2. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Well best of luck to him. Spend time on this site and you will find a wealth of info to help. Good Luck and Welcome.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I love my haulmarks wise move.

4. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

what he needs is tough love, not daddy's money. Just cus you buy him equipment doesnt mean hes gona work... and if he does i can only imagine the quality once the temps and humidity rise :) If you want him to leave the house, kick him out... you are the parent right???

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

r u going to focus on mowing , installs, trees, hardscaping?
    r u going to advertise or just hope he will get work with his good looks?
    did he do a business plan or uall just going wing it?

6. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Wait a second..how old is your son?

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Kinks:
    You wouldn't have by chance been at Allegheny Lawn & Golf Products in Coraopolis on Thursday?

Just curious, how did you find Lawnsite.com?

Has your son shown any interest in lawn care? How do you know he is going to like this type of work?

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I think what he’s doing is giving his kid a fighting chance which I cant see attacking the 20 k he helps his kid with can help him get started and I never see parents get criticized for pissing away 100k on a worthless degree. Business owners have a much better chance at making a real living then a collage grad working for someone else plus his profile said he’s been in business for 24 years so my guess is his kid has been there working with him since he could walk. The kid will need some direction and his father will need to let him fail a little but throwing a kid out is a recipe for failer.

It would have been nice to have had some help myself but my father died from cancer when I was 6. Kinks is doing exactly what I would do if I had a son teaching him to be a businessman one thing I would change the 20 k would be a loan not a gift he wont want to pay it back but he will be a prouder more confident man if he does and can say he did it him self with just a little help.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Kink as for your truck choice it makes a great landscaping truck but a poor lawn mowing truck what I have found is pickups are much easier to back in drive ways when you have dead end streets and parking nightmares in fact it is very nice to be able to see out your back window and see what your about to hit. Mirrors work but never as well I like the big trucks for landscaping projects when I need 12 yards of mulch or 4 yards of top soil that is a must but a decent pick up is worth is weight in gold much more fuel efficient then the big trucks better top speeds as well.

Trouble I see is you are gona blow your 20 k budget real fast probably before you even get to the mowers. And you need to set aside 2-5 k for advertising since this is his first year he needs all he can get or he will just be sitting home waiting for the phone to ring.

10. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

I never said that was a smart move either. Parents with too much money and not enough brains is partly ruining this society.