Sooo, about that film you said would appear

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jun 17, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Alright, I think most of you know that I am a full-time FF on the side of my business. Well, I asked my partner to spray the remaining fertilizer out of the tank on his own lawn and I would clean it out the next day, today. He called me this morning to ask how to turn on the sprayer, he is a silent partner and I do all the work, so apparently the fert has been in the tank for a few days. We will now know what kind of effect this will have on the lawn, whether it will kill it or not, and we now know what the "film" looks like when you let the ICT stay too long. So, right now, because I have to get a new batch going, I am going to clean it with ammonia and then go on with my day. I hope this is the right move.

Any who, any thoughts on what is happening, the consequences, what it is going to do to the lawn... so on and so on?

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

It may or may not affect the short or long term health of the soil and turf.

Playing with different formulas last year, several times we intentionally left our CT product in the spray rig for long periods of time and sprayed seperate areas. This year there are some areas that are noticably different than others, we have been so busy we have not had tiome to send soil samples out to the soil food web to see what the real story is.

Depending on the site and whats in the soil to begin with there may be a flush of growth from one particular bacteria or fungi, they kind of take over an area and consume most of the available resources so your soil is not balanced. You may want to come behind and spray again.

What happens when brewing or leaving CT in tanks for a long time is that after the nutirents in the tank are consumed, the biology has a huge die off.

3. DeepGreenLawn

That is what I thought you said, I was hoping since I am adding more food that they would last longer. But I don't plan on taking that chance in the future.

4. DeepGreenLawn

Hmmmm, Well, I went to the store to pick up some FE, left the water running to give me enough to clean out the tank. By the time I got back the tank was full and there was still a film on the top. The way my tank is in there it would take me all day to drain it, and I don't have that kind of time. So I just added all my products and am goin to use it one last time. I added FE but pretty diluted just to be safe. It should be about 4 ounces/K.

Hopefully this will green up the lawn and 90% of my problems will be solved. I just added about another $1 per 1000sq ft but I have a buffer in my prices just for this reason until I can get something that works.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

listen the best advice i can give is to set your tank up to drain fast, we have set ours up to drain in just minutes, if not you going to be spending a lot of time with stank water and you could make your self or others sick with bad poo water, lets not go there. cut a hole and get a drain bung, the time saved vs. the time spent setting up correctly are a no brainer. the lesco C 200 should have a rear mount hose drain, pull that out and get a 1 inch ball valve and some poly hose and make a drain. you may have to have some one small hold the inside part so you can remove the old parts.

bottom line; you would not go around with a dirty rear end, dont do the same to you tank. bad bugs are hard to get rid of

6. DeepGreenLawn

Thanks, I guess I will be cutting a hole in the tank and putting a valve in. It shouldn't be too hard or expensive I wouldn't think. Then I could just hook up a hose and drain it off the truck.

Finally a small project I can work on that shouldn't take me too long. Now, if I could just add a few more hours in the day...

7. treegal1

i will take 10 hours please, and as long as your at it 3 more days in the moth, please!!!!

8. DeepGreenLawn

you know you would just need even more on top of that though.

9. treegal1