Soooooo fed up w/front castor tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Insert curse words here __________!!!!!!!!!!!:blob2:

My tires up front are 11x4-5 and they are just too dang small period. Either that or the rims suck. I am so sick and tired of getting flats up front. I'm not talking puncture flats, I'm talking knocking the tire off the rim. Once the bead breaks, the tire is totally flat and off the rim it's impossible to get it to seal and take air.

I used to be able to get them to catch. But not anymore. Now every time they pop off it requires a trip to the tire store. They have those things that deliver a short burst of air that blows the tire back on the rim.

What a friggin pain! Oh and yeah you guessed it, seems I always have it happen after 5 pm when all the tire stores are closed.

I thought about getting those zero flat tires to replace these. But I figured they would ride lousy. I think the real answer to this 13x6.5-6 or larger front castors or am I wrong?

Is it my tire size?
    My rims?
    Or does everyone have this problem?

2. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Look into getting solid tires. I have replaced all my exmarks with solid tires up front. Problem solved.

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i sell and work on them for a living and yes everyone has tihs
    problem untill you get the run flats it will allways be

4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I converted all my machines with the solid front casters. Only problem I have with them is that they rock back & forth when traveling fast. Other than that not one problem this year.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get a can of ether and a match to reset the bead. spray and pray

6. Envy Lawn Service

Oh.... don't tempt me.... I'm so mad right now I'd be likely to set the whole SOB on FIRE!!!
    :blob2:

7. Envy Lawn Service

Even with those BIG WIDE front tires like they put on Lazer's ect?

Couldn't they design a rim that would hold the bead better?

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Funny this subject should come up! I broke the bead on one of my BullRider tires today and was just looking at the zero-flat tires in the j-thomas catalog. Anybody ever tried them on a BullRider?

9. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tries slime in your tires? It keeps the bead sealed.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

next time tie a rope around the tire and stick a wrench or something under the rope and twist it around a few times to pull the center of the tire in this always works for me to get the bead seated.