soot mold

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mike M, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I am new to the coastal south.

I have a small crape myrtle (Tonto) which was planted on the northest corner of my house. It gets sun after 12.

It appeared to be dark green mold or soot mold covering the leaves last year (new home, new plant).

Can this be from the moisture from my irrigation system misting on it, since I have no morning sun on it? I thinned up the trunks this year to about four feet, plus I may be relocating the plant to the front of my yard to get more sun.

I have a lawn customer in my development with the same mold problem, but his plant is taller and gets morning sun.

2. tsmoot

tsmoot LawnSite Member

First be sure that its sooty mold and not powdery mildew. Powdery mildew is most often caused by moisture. Sooty mold is caused by aphids sucking sap out of the leaves. Here is a fact sheet that will help you from Clemson
    http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2002.htm
    Good luck

3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Thanks for the link. Yep, it was sooty mold. I was able to wash it off with a hard blast from my hose. When I did, I had a late bloom of flowers into September.

I guess I need to blast it often with water or find a spray for the aphids.

Mike

4. tsmoot

tsmoot LawnSite Member

Neem or insecticidal soap work well