Sore Aeration

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfsolutions, Oct 8, 2003.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

No I did not mispell anything, SORE AERATION is correct.

After aerating all of my properties in Sept I took a nice 3 hour drive to NY which turned into a 6.5 hour drive thanks to NYC traffic. The next day I could barely walk. It didn't get any better during the trip and the ride home was almost unbearable. Saw a chiropractor and he said I sprained my back, no work for at least a week, and I have to see him every day for treatment for the first week, who knows how often after that.

Anyway my point is this. For those of you who price aeration in my market any less than $15 per K your crazy. A healthy back is worth much more, and costs much more to fix. I will be aerating again when I heal, and will continue to charge top dollar for it.

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

3. ANDY-W

ANDY-W LawnSite Member
    from IN

We use a z-plugr. Well worth the investment if you do a lot of aeration and you won't need a doctor at the end of the day.
    z-spray.com

4. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to agree with MacLawn on this. The Gator-Rator is an awesome machine for the money. Saves alot of time and sore-back labor, which for me equals an increased interest in aerating and more money in the bank. My Ryan is now mostly collecting dust except for small fenced yards.

5. turfsolutions

I am aware of the z plugger and am waiting to hear feedback on it from those who area using it. So far everyone loves it. I believe it is a bit to soon to tell how well the machine holds up to longer term wear and tear. Its not the type of machine most equipment repair companies are used to or have parts for. Hopefully the zplugger will stand the test of time.

6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Still using a Ryan pull-behind with hydraulic lift for the major areas and Ryan IV and V for the trim. Works well for me. Does the Gator-Rator try to "plow" in turns? Looks like it would be great for getting into corners. I've never seen one around here.

7. turfsolutions

I saw a guy drive by today with a Ryan V and a Z pluggr. I have to admit I was a bit jealous. Ironically I was on my way home from the chiropractor.

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You were using what to aerate?

As for pricing...pretty close. ;)

9. turfsolutions

Ryan V walkbehinds.

Close on pricing eh? OK what is you going rate.

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

$13/k under 10k + $35 stop fee

$12/k over 10k +$35 stop fee

With seed (TTTF) $24/k

Using Classen split-drive...