Sore wrists?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by creepers, Aug 11, 2005.

1. creepers

creepers LawnSite Member

Has anyone experienced sore wrists or numb hands from the day to day mowing?

Our business has been up and running about three months and my partner, who does a majority of the push mowing, is experiencing these symptoms?

By the way, the majority of customers were located by classifieds in the local newspaper-a couple from hundreds of fliers-but most from the paper-people are still calling and we are not certain where the potential client is getting the number!

Thanks!
    Sheree

2. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Do A Google Search On Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.........it Is Vibration And Repetitive Motion (same Movements All The Time) Related. Ive Heard It Called White-fingers Disease.... Its A Huge Problem In Our Biz / Factories / Surgeons / Mechanics And Even Office Workers That Work On Computers All Day. See The Doc Asap

3. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

I've experienced sore wrists from time to time...

I also had surgery last year to repair 4 severed tendons in my right hand so that could be the cause of pain in the right...however, the left also gets roughly the same thing...

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

He's holding on to tense. If you don't change things, he's going to have problems in the future...BIG problems. Go down to your hardware store and buy a length of the foam pipe insulation. Cut a length to fith the mower handle (best if it curves downward on each end) and put it on and duct tape around it in a few places. This will cut down on the vibration significantly, and give a more comfortable grip.

5. Turf n Dirt

Turf n Dirt LawnSite Member

Yup! Loosen the grip and get some padded work gloves. Moto cross gloves or mechanics gloves :cool:

6. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

I have simular prob but from using angle grinder sharpening blades, think im getting old or RSI Ive tried the anti vib gloves from saftey shops etc but hasnt helped.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Switch to a t-bar mower and I guarantee your problem is solved.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

When I got multiple ads running, sometimes I ask the potential customer how'd they find my number but another possibility is some newspapers also publish their info on a web site and ppls find it through the internet... Flyers have a habit of coming back on you even months after you've passed them out as well.