Sore wrists

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Jul 7, 2000.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I bought two exmark WB HP mowers this year. Since then my wrists have gone down the dreain. I dont think it is carple tunnel, but do know that it hurts. I have gotton so bad now that i cant even push DOWN on the handles to lift the deck to remove wrapped debris. I know that for now i am bound to stay with these mowers due to financial reasons. Does anyone know of a company or something that may make an alternative driving system that i can rig to my mower. Even home jobbers would be better than what i am suffering with right now. Thanks for the help if anyone can actually help.

2. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Acute Cut, It may be caused by pressure to the palms of your hands. I learned about this from mountain biking. I was told by several bike shops and one doctor to use gloves with padding and support in the middle. They are mesh, so they aren't too hot. My wrists used to scream with pain after about 2 hours of leaning on handle bar grips. Just a thought, good luck. Bill

3. Sell the eXmarks and buy Toros.<p>I used one yesterday for nine hours with no<br>pain or problem. If fact I have been operating my old toros for 30 to 40 hours per week for ten years. 95% of the time on a sulky of some type.

4. dhicks

dhicks Member

Here goes. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome typically effects the thumb and first fingers with pain that radiates into the wrist with various ROM (Range of Motions). If your ring finger and pinkie (fingers 3 & 4) are involved, the pain may be the result of nerve root compression at C-8. Typically one can rule-out spinal compression of C-8 by pressing at various spots around the elbow. If pain is noted, there may be a compression injury at the neck level. <p>Without knowing more about your condition, Lawn Gator is right on target about the biker gloves. If you notice some improvement in the wrist after using the gloves, you may well be on the road to recovery. If not... see your personal physician A.S.A.P.<p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac - ICQ [icq]31223414[/icq]<br>www.go-emerald.com

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I've had this same problem before when using a BobCat mower. Try the gloves first since it's cheaper, if that does not work look at a new mower.<p>I bought a Great Dane scamper and have had no problems since. Like Stone said, Toro also has the system that you you push the bar and not squeezing a handle, I just didn't like thier system. Try each and decide for yourself.<p>Ray

6. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

Better than the cheaper biker gloves, go to a local auto parts store and purchase a pair of anti-vibration gloves. They are made to absorb the vibrations of high impact drills and wrenches. Works great. Fingers are already cut out some you perserve the dexterity you need to mow and trim. Run about $20<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida