sorry...another pricing question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JustaHomeOwner, Feb 17, 2006.

1. JustaHomeOwner

JustaHomeOwner LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 2001 Grasshopper 725 G2 with approximately 1200 hours on it. For those that do not know, that is a 3 cyl Kabota engine with a 62 inch deck. Asking price is $4300, probably get it for $4000. Is this a good deal and why/why not? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

3grand max see ya george

3. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Condition matters lots.

$5 to 10$ per hour is the cost of wear and tear. I suppose I could accept $5 on a diesel, but...

1-2 year old eqp is the best buy per hour of use.

4. JustaHomeOwner

Thanks for the info, although I have no idea what the original price was for this unit. I am guessing at least 10K, but not sure. It does appear to be in emaculant condition for being 5 years old and have 1200 hours....I am just not that familiar with the Grasshopper brand and what its values are on the used market.

5. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

just go price a new unit that meets the same specs, and deduct for the hours from that.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a dealer who handles parts for this unit?

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

1200 hours are a few on mowers,tires,clutches,pumps to name a few, things get wore out,we sold a 2002 frountmont 725 grasshopper man we babied this mower from day 1, 500 hours on this unit when we traded the pump went out really looked bad on us but things happen we deduct 15 bucks per hour on used equipment this is a ballpark fiqure.

8. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Hm.. Well, I'm a measly homeowner, not an LCO, but OMG, $15 an hour? Thats $18,000 of deduction on a 1200 hour unit that was probably $11,000 new. Use what you want, but $15 ain't in the ballpark here.

Hell, if he paid $2k for the thing it would be $7 for depreciation.

Justa:

Why this machine? you could be a new 757 Deere w/60" for $6k- $6.5k

Maybe price a new pump, 2 wheel motors, and a deck rebuild. Then assume it will cost you that plus $300 to get to 2500 hours, and that's probably end of life. Now, if those costs, plus the requested purchase price, plus the hassles of repair and etc.. are worth it to you, fine. Otherwise, keep looking.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Buying any mower without a warranty you are setting yourself up for high end repairs in the long run i know by personal experence paying high end bills,read my post i stated that we sold a grasshopper with 500 hours this mower was extremly took care of the hydro pump went out under warranty have you ever purchased a hydro pump if yes you know the cost.

10. JustaHomeOwner

I am really surprised by all the advice to stay away from this mower. Thanks for the input!!! However, it makes me question why I have heard so many great things about grasshoppers, but once they are a little used everyone feels like they are too risky to be associated with. Maybe that is the case with any type, as this machine does have 1200 hours.

My needs are simply to mow 4 of the flatest acres you have ever seen. Until last year this was part of a corn field, now it is my yard. I do not need the most expensive model out there, I just do not want to spend hours and hours mowing when I could (if I buy the right machine) do it much faster.

Now that I have explained my needs, I am open to further suggestions to what might fit best. I value the wisdom of this board!!!!