1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry Charlie...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jan 22, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Got a work order late Friday that one site didn't have its water on in the back portion and they "needed to water the garden area or things would die." It came in 1/2 hour before quitting time so, of course, it had to wait until this morning. Went out and found the irrigation PVB turned off, test ports opened and port caps on top of the PVB. Suspected immediately that our plumbers had done this to keep the PVB from cracking during the recent freeze and I was correct. Head plumber said to go ahead and turn it back on so I did. The garden's water is via a rigged QC key with two hose bibbs attached, one for a hose and the other for a drip system with cheapo plastic timer. YUP... Cheapo plastic garden timer was blown from the freeze. Now they still don't have water and they'll have to replace it because items like these are not our responsibility. :laugh:

Freeze Damage IV-01.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What were the bid specs on that bit of work? I could have brought it in for something in the low four figures.

3. PurpHaze

The bid specs were "cheap as can be" on this one I'd imagine. :laugh:

Elbow Drip System IV-01.jpg

Elbow Drip System IV-02.jpg

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

that is one nice retaining wall.....;)

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It compliments the drip system:laugh:

6. PurpHaze

Yeah... They're both pieces of crap. What do you expect from the average teacher though? :laugh:

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Here’s a bit of trivia for your little black books of worthless facts.

The catchphrase “Sorry, Charlie” dates back to 1961 when it was first used by the StarKist Seafood Company. Remember Charlie the tuna? That fishy dude is getting old. Guess we know what Hayes had on his mind back then…

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Charlie's getting older, but his creator isn't - Tom Rogers died a year or so back. Drowned.

tunacharlie.gif

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sorry charlie:waving:

10. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard that he actually thought he was a fish....... And the phrase came from onlookers when he tried to prove he could swim with a school of fish. The phrase came from the people yelling "Sorry Charlie"