1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sorry Folks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Deere, May 2, 2001.

1. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

Sorry to all who swear their mower is the best out there, but after a week at a lawn equipment show where I went with the intent to add another ZTR to our fleet, I now own the best 61" ZTR mower out there. Yes Exmark, Toro, Dixie Chopper and so on are big players in the lawn world and on this site, but I tried all of those out this week plus about 12 others and none of them could even touch the performance and durability of the one I bought. Just some background as well, we use to run 3 John Deere 665 Mid Ztracks. We still use them, but it will just be a matter of time until we weed them out. So what is this mower that I am raving about? Without a doubt if you mow alot of large accounts and "quality" is a must as it is for me, then the SCAG TURF TIGER is it! 61" Kawasaki 27 h.p. liquid cooled. Try one, you'll see!
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

How did you judge durability in one weekend? Did you give the Great Dane Chariot a spin?

I did try a Scag, not impressed. I like being able to mow and scratch if needed. :D I can drive (not turn) my Chariot with one hand if needed. I also like not having handles over me, if for some reason I would need to jump, no obsticles in my way.

To each his own, hope the mower gives you years of great service. Will you be changing your screen name?

4. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure many different mowers will get the job done. There's no lack of opinion on the best, that's a fact.
    I'm not a big time operator, just a solo business man. I started with Exmark Lazer and I can find no reason so far to fault my choice. "If it ain't broke, no need to fix it."
    Good luck with your choice in mowers.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

When I was on vacation over spring break, I looked at some Scag walkbehinds. They looked pretty nice but I hear alot more people are using Exmark and Toro. Now I'm focusing more towards Exmark. I'm a Toro believer but I LOVE the new ECS system that Exmark has for their W/B's. So much better feeling then the pistols. I hope to get a Turf Tracer 48" in a year or so when I pay off my new dirt bike ;). Congrats on the new machine and have fun! :D

[Edited by Scag48 on 05-02-2001 at 11:51 PM]
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Scag48, where have you been? We had you on the MIA list.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If you can judge durability after 1 weekend your doing better than all of us.

Good luck, you'll probably need it.
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Now it sounds like there are two people will have to change their names. Maybe scag can give his to to john deere.
  9. i know some guys who are buying the 27 hp kawi turf tigers. they say that the machines run like "raped apes" they have plenty of power to boot. however i believe that they also come with a price tag of about 13000 with the grass catcher system. so you pay for that ape there. i have used the lazer z's before and it is a good machine. however if you get onto a tiger from that you can tell the difference. only thing i didnt like about the tiger the times i used it was that dropping the deck was a little hard for some reason. however the machine was only being used 1 day a week for about 15 large lawns. and the owner beat the living heck out of it. other than that they really are great machines. good luck.
  10. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2000 Turf Tiger 25 KOH 61 Advantage deck. The machine works great for me, BUT it beats me to death. Needs some suspension in the seat. Congrats on your new purchase. Hope it works out great for you.
    Bill Craig