Sorry for buying a used plow truck

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by bdemir, Jan 2, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Im trying to figure out what brand and model is best for winter plowing and ive come to the conclusion that new is the answer. Ive had in mind that the dodge v10 turbo diesel is a good chose exspecially one that wasnt used for a plowing or a towing vehicle. I want to know what is the more sturdier plow truck for me. Thank you everyone for the help.

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

V10 Turbo Diesel<br>WOW let me know when you find one, I want one too. That should be pretty hard to engine choice to find since IT WAS NEVER MADE. <br>Used trucks can be good to plow with, I bought an 84 k-20 this season with a 7.5' fisher. It has has a plow since day one. But they didnt beat the truck, the frame is sound, and the front end is tight. It needs a little cosmetic work, but its a plow truck.<br>I payed 2500$ for it, and put 500 in parts into it. SO for 3k I have a nice plow truck.<br>You just need to look at the truck very well before buying, and if you are not sure, take along a mechanicle inclined friens, or offer a deposit, then take it to reputable repair garage and spens the 50-75$ on having them look it over.Thats a lot cheaper than a new engine,now isnt it.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

3. bdemir

sorry bout that i thought it was a v10 i guess its a 5.9 liter so that makes it a v8 i guess. Sorry for the confusion but it still sounds good though a v10 turbo diesel yeah.

4. bdemir

sorry bout that i thought it was a v10 i guess its a 5.9 liter so that makes it a v8 i guess. Sorry for the confusion but it still sounds good though a v10 turbo diesel yeah!!

5. ashlandscaping

ashlandscaping Banned

I agree with Dino used Plow trucks are not always that bad off. You just need to take a real close look over the truck. I have bought many used plow trucks in last 5 years ranging from late 70s to 90s. Most that I have bought needed a little work in range of $200 to $500. But the most I ever have paid for a used truck was $6000 and that truck needed nothing at all. If you really take a good look at the truck and take your time you can find some good used plow trucks. Only bought 1 piece of s--- and only reason needed a truck in middle of snow strom but turn around and sold it for more then paid for it and told the guy who bought it what I found wrong with it. It plowed the snow strom and thats all I needed from it. Trans will go out it par for the course if you hire drivers. So dont judge a truck by that. Good luck on a new truck

6. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

When I was looking for a truck to plow with last year, I looked for a 3/4 ton pickup that never had a plow on it, and also did not have a hitch on it. <p>The truck I bought was owned by an excivator, and he hauled his fuel tank in the back, and needed the 3/4 ton for that. It never really hauled and worked like a tow vehicle ot plow truck.<p>It was newer, and in good shape. I did a very thourough inspection, and have been very happy with my purchase.

7. bdemir

jeff that sounds like what i was thinking thanks for the boost.

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

ACtually the dodge diesel is made by Cummings Engine Division and is a 6 cyl.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't shy aboput buying a used truck, but I'd stay away from 1994 and new Dodges. I'd buy an '88-93 Dodge anyday. The Ford Super Duty seems like a great plow truck if you're going new.<p>And why would you want a Diesel? Do you have a lot of towing in the summer months?

10. bdemir

Sorry Dino the cummins turbo diesel 5.9liter hapeens to be a v8.