Sorry, I had to ask this again though

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proenterprises, May 18, 2003.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to be bringing this up again, but I wanted one last direct answer before I made a deal. My lawn boy 21" sp is starting to go and is not holding up to the use anymore, (5 years maybe more) and I am looking for a new light use mower.

I am thinking of this one, it is a divion of murray power equip branch. I do fully understand that this is not a commercial unit and that it will not work 40 hours a week. I need a trim mower to do maybe 3-5 hours a week on my personal lawn and maybe 1-2 gated areas.

I am leaning towards this one because of the 1) fact that it is 26" contrasted to my lawn boy 21" and will make cutting a little quicker. 2) you can turn the blades off and still run the engine (good to transport esp. across lots) and 3) the swivel casters in the front make turning and swiveling around obstacles alot easier.

Here is the link, please give a response, it will really help me!!

;) :) :D
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I personally don't feel that you need or have to buy top of the line 21" commerical mowers. In fact we have two homeowner s 21", one is 11 years old, and the other is 10 years old that we picked up from the hardware store years back. Too this day, "knock on wood," we have never had a problem with them. They have out lasted all of our commerical equipment.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if you can live with a mulching mower only, why don't you give it a try?

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 jd 21's one 6.5 the other is 6.75hp,you can choke them down in wet grass in mulchin mode easy.IMO 6.5 is not enough to mulch only.AND one of mine has swivel castors,never unlock them,useless IMO.:)
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Toro 21" for trim areas, $300.00 new 2 years ago. Still runs fine today, but it only gets about 2 hrs use each week.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I don't know anything about that unit, but I will say that it has a good engine on it. It's not a commercial grade engine but it's a good homeowner grade engine, good for what you describe. Don't you ever buy one with a Tecumseh!!! Ever!!!!!! The Briggs is a good cheap engine. In my short experiences with a caster wheel mower they are easier and less fatigue-ing than a straight wheel mower, but I'd lock it on a hillside. for normal flat ground mowing around obstacles and turns I would go caster mode. I would think you can't go too wrong with that machine.
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

My Dad bought one of the Stanely 26" mowers at Wal-mart on clearance last year. It's yelloy and black with a Tecumseh engine.
    I used it one his lawn a couple of times.
    A bit underpowered (only 6.5hp i think)
    The castoring front handles nice.
    the wider cut is nice.
    LOTS of plastic parts
    had to fix or readjust something each time I used it.
    I made a larger discharge shute because the one that came with it was to restictive and just shot clumps.
  8. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I think you would be fine, except change the rims to metal, or carry some extra plastic ones... A big piece of equipment hits a wheel on that thing while loading or unloading and it will be break the rims...Ive done this, and Im sad to say more than once lol.
  9. jonw9

jonw9 LawnSite Member

The auction says all wheels adjust with a single lever, but from looking at the pic, it appears as if the front wheels are on with pins and cotter pins. I don't know if it really matters, it is just something I noticed.
  10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Judging by the arms coming from the back of the mower, it COULD lift the arms in the back, therefore LOWERING the front wheels.(opposite effect if you wanted to raise the wheels) HOWEVER, it is difficult to tell. I think thats the engineer in me talking. LOL.