Sorry Jim Lewis!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by clallen03, Feb 16, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a flyer that I put together a couple nights ago. It is almost like a flyer that I saw Jim Lewis post; Sorry Jim.

Jim is one of the LCO that I have enormous respect for and he always gives good advice. In his post he stated he built an entire maintenance department with these flyers, so I thought I might use something similar in my marketing plan.

This is just one of my flyers that I will use this season. The others start with saying like "Not satisfied with your current lawn care company?" or "Cant stand the thought of mowing your lawn for another Georgia summer?" I want to hit them from every angle.

Well anyways tell me what you think.

Jim I hope i made you proud!!!

Attached Files:

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscape design?

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

You have respect for a guy who charges $20-$26 a week for lawn care? I guess I should have to also it seems he's doing charity work for that price. Unless all of his yards are postage stamp yards under 2000sqr ft there not worth it and your giving a discount too. My smallest yard is $30 a week and they go up from there. I think you need to rethink your prices if you want to stay in business unless your one of those illegal company wana bees. I just don't know how you can afford insurance,workers comp, gas, and even decent equipment at that rate.

4. clallen03

The lots that I maintain are 1/4 lots with about 3500K of turf. These are yearly contract so I do take a hit during the growing season, but its made up in the off season.

I can care less what you charge for your smallest lawn, my business may have a lower overhead then yours so what you charge is irrelevant. Don't assume that everyone with lower prices then your is illegal, uninsured, has cheap equipment, and fly-by-night because I can show you at least one company that will prove you wrong.

Don't think that I cant take criticism because I can, but I'm asking for suggestion on my flyer, not on my prices.

5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Your overhead can't be that low because you are losing money all spring and summer long. I'd love to hear how you make it up in the winter. Plowing? Chopping wood? Wouldn't it be nice to make money all year long?

6. clallen03

Any suggestions on this flyer?

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think I would leave out any mention of how many clients (the 40 landscapes part) Being in business since '04 would at least indicate that you're not brand-new to this. Maybe just me but it just sounds funny.

Not to get into a pricing discussion but you should really consider NOT taking a hit during the growing season...that's when you incur most of your expenses...being in GA you should be able to work almost year-round in some way, shape or form so consider upping the prices.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd drop the 40 accounts on there. Probably change "most homes" to "prices as low as..." That way they aren't always expecting you to do it for that price. It leaves very little give for adjustment.

9. waterboy1

waterboy1 LawnSite Member
    from AL

Only suggestion I have is, try dropping the second sentence about the 40 clients, and changing the "We have built our reputation on quality lawn care
    at affordable rates, to may We have built our reputation on quality lawn care and customer satisfaction. Just some thoughts. May not be what your looking for.

Jason

10. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

How can you include fertalizing in with that price? That doesnt seem possible even if the yards are very small. Your cost for the material would kill the 85 a month deal. If you are cutting 4 times a month thats only rougly 21.00 a cut, plus fertalizing? That doesnt seem possible to be profitable. Wouldnt fertalizing cover Lawn weed control? Our fertalizing programs that we offer are a 4 or 6 step program through out the season, which fertalizes, and has weed control at the same time. Do you have your applicators licence to be applying this fertalizer? If you do put your licence number down on the page so people can see that you are certified and licenced to be putting down these products. If you arnt, please get your licence before you start, or one time being caught by the DEC and you will loose all your money really quick, it has happened to others around my area, and dont be suprised if your competition calls the DEC on you if you arnt.

James
    JS LANDSCAPING