Sorry Mam your yard is to small for me!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CURB APPEAL NC, Jun 17, 2005.

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Does anyone turn down small yards! I just took on another weekly cust. very small yard w/ a little cute lanscaping in the back yard. $30 for me! Come to find out the lady tells me she originally called the neighborhood guy that lives in the hood and has his ad in the community letter and has been around forever. He told her that her yard is too small for his equipment and would have to find someone else! Do you guys do this?

oh! and his ad states that he just does residential and most of the yards are small in this neighborhood! go figure!
  3. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys, after a while of being in bizness "The other Guy" finally has set his course. His equipment is either 36" 0r 48" or larger and hes no longer willing to use a push 21" any longer!!!!!! His loss is your gain payup So Enjoy :)

I think ive seen him around, im pretty sure he uses a JD riding tractor and the yard is too small for it. thats why I took mine back and got a 36 WB. best thing I ever did! I can get into 99% of all my gates and im definitley not going to turn a job down thats too small! maybe if the money is too small! :)
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i just got a call a couple days ago. two houses, side by side, both wanting service. i turned them down. both would require the use of a 21". i don't 21" no more
  6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I turn down all residental work on props under an acre. I only do commercial but will do any size of comm prop. Theres not an over abundance of 1 acre+ resi props in my service area.
  7. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have picked up more lawns this year because of the increasing trend to being lazy.

At first I thought..."Great, these must be someone else's old PITA lawns." But, I was wrong. They have been great customers. They have paid on time and have ordered many many upgrades (fert, mulch etc...)

The problem is that their yards were not perfect for the 60" Z that everyone is going to.

More and more I have found that LCO's (around here at least) do not want to get their lazy butt off the Z. They won't use a walk behind, definitely not a 21", and they don't really want to go with the smaller Zs. They don't like fences, landscaping or any other hindrance that will add 3 minutes to their mow.

These lawns have been a great addition to my list.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mow them at the same price as the others. If I have to break out the 21" or anything else that adds significant time or effort then I charge a much higher price.

My thought is that I will mow with a 21" all day if necessary, but I will be paid very well for the trouble.
  8. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

In my experience a 32" WB is many times more productive than a push 21", with much less effort needed to operate. Not sure if there are both belts and hydros available, or what brands are best, but almost all mower makes have 32 in their line. There aren't any gates I've seen that wouldn't fit a 32.

For the ultimate lazy asses, Gravely I think makes a 34" Z.

I think the Z-obsessed guys are idiots. We have no narrow-gate yards, so we use two 48" W/B's, one trimmer, one blower on a 5x8 trailer (pulled by a Cherokee).

We have gone head to head against four man Z crews at neighbors yards and have left them in the dust (and did better work). Just yesterday three of us mowed 22 1/4 acre props in under 5 hours.

I think for average residential properties W/B's are better than Z's. If they're that lazy why not just get a sulky?
  9. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Do you did not... no way... forget about it...BS
  10. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I tried to turn down a yard because my 36" would not fit through a gate in the back of the property. It was a small area, maybe 60' x 10' that needed a 21" to gain access. I told the customer that my mower would not fit, and that I could not cut it. She offered to let me use her 21" mower for that part of the lawn. I kind of laughed, thinking how I could be viewed as a scrub for such a thing. But, ended up signing her up under those circumstances anyways. She has a cheap crapsman mower, so I'm not too worried about liability of using her mower. I use my equipment on the rest of the yard. My main objection was not wanting to carry a 21" mower anymore, but she pretty much eliminated that by providing it. It was a package deal, and came with the neighbors lawn as well. So 2 lawns, 1 stop. We'll see how it goes, this is the first time I have ever had an arragement like this.