"Sorry" to ask which walk behind to buy

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DEA, Jun 30, 2004.

1. DEA

DEA LawnSite Member

I'm new here. Great site btw.
    Sorry to ask this type of question again. Tried the search deal
    But for personal use (right now).
    I have a sloping(hilly) yard with several trees.
    Getting ready to retire or trade in my older JD 300.
    I first started lookin at some riders JD,Simplicity,Husqavarna you get the idea.
    Then some zrt's. Mostly ruled them out because of the sloping(hilly) terrain with trees
    Then the salesman highly recomended a walk behind.I didn't think much of it at first.
    Untill I tried one out at a dealer.Exmark Viking. That thing is nice:D That thing is $2000.00 more than a belt drive:(
    The hydro is nice but is it for personal use?
    Looked at the Quick 36 on thier web site only 2000.00 looks appealing but not really a true zrt hydro.
    Please give some suggestions and ideas on what others to look at.Is the hydro worth the 2 grand
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

For home use I think the Quick 36 just might be the ticket. I don't think you will find anything brand new for less.
  3. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a LESCO 48 belt drive 15 hp kawasaki I mow 37 lawns a week with it. I live in Connecticut we have lots of steep hills. This walk behind has a fixed deack it is verry rigid does excelent on hills across not up down. The big drawback to belt drive is you cant mow in the rain. Mowing in the rain is not good but sometimes it must be done.
    The mower was a good deal 2,300 new.
  4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

if you are looking at a w/b, check out Lesco.I have a new 48 inch h/d,float deck. Just demo some and go for it. Def get a sulky. I wasnt going to but just love it. You cant get the full efect of a w/b if you dont use a sulky. Who wants or can jog at 6 mph all day?
  5. chefdrp

Oh, heres a pic of mine. mower and sulky. sulky has casters that make it nice for a h/d.
  6. chefdrp

oops. sorry about that.try again

sample pics 058.jpg
  7. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

You will see many threads on the hyrdo vs. belt drive. If you can somehow swing it, go hydro. You won't be sorry. I'm a homeowner and I'm trading in my beltdrive machine for a hydro this year.

It is definitely a lot more money but so much easier to use. So much less wear and tear on your body. I know you are talking about personal use only, but it will just make your life a lot easier and will last you a really long time.

There are many good commercial brands out there. I'd probably choose based on good dealer support. Good luck with your decision.
  8. DEA

DEA LawnSite Member

Thanks for the guick replies
    chefdrp the Lesco looks nice.
    I'll keep looking
    I know the hydro would be nicer
    I'd like to see the Better Quick 36 but don't want a long distance service agreement.
  9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Bob-Cat WB!!!!!!! I love my Bob-Cat 48", belt drive, w/15 hp Kawasaki engine, it is a fantastic machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It cuts and stripes really well and does very well on hills!!!
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

If anything. I want to see some pics of your JD 300. I collect JD tractors (hobby) and I don't have a 300, but I have a model 20 loader to mount on it. KY not that far from MD.