Sorry to insult you with my bid!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Apr 18, 2008.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Seems that I must be the only guy in town that isnt lowballing. Ive been called to several homes to bid and they are usually 36 to 45. The homeowner steps back with a stunned look. Ive already got 2 guys that only bid 30 they say. One had a bid of 25 that she took of course. These people are calling me because they actually expect me to go lower. Tonight was a 3/4 acre lot that was an easy mow. I bid 36 thinking I was a lowballer and the guy acted offended. He had a 30 bid and was looking for lower. My mower doesnt run for that kind of money. How can anyone make any money with these low bids? I believe these are established operators.

2. JOEP51

JOEP51 LawnSite Member

Why is it in this industry we can't work together and bid what our time and care/dedication is worth? When the tide comes in, all the ships will come in...

3. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

my over head is less then yours ......................

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Thats not always the case, some LCO will turn & burn for $35 or less, and figure more accounts for less money is the answer. I get calls all the time now for lawn maintenance estimates my response is $50.00 minimal period no haggling. Most cheap lawn maintenance agreements never last, in this economy folks are "window" shopping for lawn care, this is not a "required service" for home ownership is what I told a lady that got upset at my price's.

5. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

in ohio $50 you would stay home and not work , no way to make that by me .I cant count how many men in trucks mow by me , 100 different ones a day.

6. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Call me crazy but that is why I LOVE a drought about every 4 or 5 years. I keep working with maintenance and lowballers can't stay a float they sell there equipment and go out of business. But those that are established can survive.Best time to buy commercial equipment is during a drought. Best time to buy a Snowplow after a horrible snow year.

RCGM
    Brad

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Same thing in TExas ...only the very high end quality yards get high prices and there is a ton of competition for those also. Most yards are now degraded to $25 and good companies are doing the bulk.

8. GrasMstr

GrasMstr LawnSite Member

Wow 36 for 3/4. I consistantly get 50-55 for that in our area. Good business practices must allow you to work and make money at that rate. That sure isn't easy money.

9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i had a lady call me up for an estimate. yard was about 1/2 acre. i told her 42 with my senior citizens discount. she said can you do it for 35? i said no, 42 is already too low and i would normally charge 50. she said i'll call you tomorrow and let you know. apparently she got it done for 35. i refuse to work for peanuts. the sad thing is i saw who cut it and they have a nice setup. too bad they think lowballing is the answer. if she decides to call me back, the price is now 50 with the discount. :laugh:

10. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

The city park bid went to one company this year and they were super cheap!! Try $9.88 an acre!