Sorry you didn't get the bid!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CutsLawnCarePlus, Mar 23, 2006.

1. CutsLawnCarePlus

CutsLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

Okay, So I get a call from a large corporation (Fortune 500) company. He tells me that we did not get the bid for this years maintenance. We bid this place because it is right next to a large commercial that we do. He is real nice and goes on to say what the winning bid was. Needless to say it was about 1,500 dollars less then us. I think no problem some companies take the cheapest bid and sometimes they get what they pay for. He was also kind enough to tell me the company name and so I run a check at the MDA website- Nothing - Not even a number or address in last years phone book. I figure they must be new. The thing that pi**ed me off the most was that the bid called for 5 applications of fert with 2 weed controls and one pre-emergent and 7 applications of weed killer in the beds. I'm left to think that either this big company does not care about licensing or this guy is pulling weeds by hand. The way I look at is companies like this we do not need. I only can wish them the best of luck and to not get turned in.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have lost bids like this over the years, keep the door open for them to call you back. after they figure out you get what you pay for they may want to call you back! that has happened several times!

3. CutsLawnCarePlus

I agree with what you are saying. The problem is not losing the account. We never had the account to lose. It is a company taking bids for pesticide applications and awarding the bid to a company who is not licensed. We go to great lengths to keep our license and remain updated on regulations for a reason.

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you may still get it...usually a large companys insurance company will require a copy of their insurance and liscence. I have had that happen and ended up getting the bid.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Its post like this that drag prices down. It cost you to be legit and if he beat your bid because he does not have those cost then why the heck won't you turn him in? Make sure he's illegal and call the company back and inquire if they decide to do with out the treatment, if they say no then tell them the guys not legal to do applications and since there aware of it and they procede to have him do them there responsable as him if something should go wrong. Be diplomatic about how you say it but let them know that you get what you pay for and you reap what you sow. BTW-- just make sure the others guys illegal

6. CutsLawnCarePlus

Why does post's like that drag prices down? The company has been advised today about Michigan pesticide regulation. Do they care? Doesn't sound like it. However, Jennifer Reay from the Department of Agriculture does and she will take care of the situation. The problem I have is customer knowledge. Big corporations should want licensed companies. Afterall, It is the law.

7. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

A little off topic but somewhat relative here. At a recertification conference I went to not all that long ago the question of non-licensed applicators came up. To keep it short, the speaker said that the ODA loves investigating anonymous tips on unlicensed applicators.......

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I said it dragged prices down because you did not say you were gonna turn them in and make them aware of the consequences of hiring unlicensed applicators. If little Johnny get sick from chemical poisoning these big companies that want to save a few $$$ need to know there azz is on the line also.

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I talked with the Indiana State Chemist last year and they said any compliant they get they have to follow up on. they even ask if I knew of anyone making illegal applications they could check out! so if you suspect someone using pesticide's without a license let the pesticide police do their job! they are there to protect the public, environment and our profession.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed turn him in,he should not have even bid the job.