Sort of an OT question about the TT striping roller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justgeorge, Jan 9, 2005.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all,
    Newbie here. I'm about to purchase a TTHP 48" for my startup irrigation and lawn care company. I've got a bad problem with moles in my own yard - will the Exmark striping roller roll the yard enough to flatten out all the ridges they've made with their tunnelling? I've got the rest of the winter to eliminate the moles themselves.

Thanks, I've learned a ton here on lawnsite already!

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

They should flatten the mounds some. As much as any roller with 150lbs attached to it i/2 inch off the ground. when you go over irregularities the roller pushes the deck up so I doubt that your problem will be resolved with the roller alone.
  3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

You would have better luck dealing with the mole issue. Find out why they're in your yard and deal with that issue first.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Having a roller on my 52" Exmark TTHP, I think i can speak with authority on this issue (as well as having mole issues in my own yard). It will help lower the tunnels if they are softened up, but it won't flatten them completely. If you can get your hands on a lawn roller that you tow behind a lawn tractor or atv (or rent a walk behind self propelled one maybe) that would do a much better job i am sure. The roller helps a little but its not going to replace a large dedicated roller. Also keep in mind if you are planning on rolling these molehills while mowing, the tunnels will already be scalped by the blades before the roller gets to them.
    So, it will help a little but it won't completely rid you of the tunnels. Try driving on the tunnels with the drive tires, just drive along the length of the tunnel using one of the rear wheels of the mower, that will help a good bit (don't try this while mowing it will look funny in the yard LOL).