SOS HELP with 12 month contract terms Need advice

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Perfect touch landscapes, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Perfect touch landscapes

Perfect touch landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I normally never discused prices with anyone , but this time situation was different this was cheapest bid I have ever gave and I guess I tryed to brag how cheap I can do an account, it backfired and gave me lesson, never get to friendly or to comfortable there is always collateral damage. Whole reason I picked up this account because I though it was in such high profile location I was gonna pick up tons of buisiness. I got my own black book so called, where I write down my own lessons I learn and trust me I added at least 10 more tips of what not to do or do different. Some guys don't undersdand when we do 12 month accounts it is not of desperation , to them their numbers in few accounts, but when you add 150-200 accounts on monthly payment they don't realize we do that for numbers and a solid flow of work that I call filler. 200 accounts at minimum 200 a month do the math. I try to avoid them but once again you can't always have steak so I eat mashpotatoes too, because after only 8 oz of meat you will be still hungry.My main goal to use whatever I can to get every customer I want not every that called , but every I need. If I go thrugh a subdivision I d rather use every tool in arsinal to get 20 customers in row then be stuck up and spend 2 hours a day travelling around town.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

As long as your making money, do what you got to. If your making 20 bucks off a place and then drive 10 min to your next 20 you made 10 bucks. If you can stack 15 houses that your only making 15 but no travel, you make a living.

I still dont see how a contract makes it easy for another comp though.

3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I enjoy 12 months right now as I am stillsmall enough that
    I am able to spend quality time on their property, makes them extreamlhappy and gives me something to do in the off weeks. Has actually allowed me to take their properrties to anotrher level, which will continue to help word of mouth. Sorry about any mispelled word in this post, posting from blackberry while at universal
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Perfect touch landscapes

I have learned 12 month contracts work well in subdivisions where trees are mature, customers that have mulch installed instead of rock and neighbours are hard to penetrate. I have had people stop by and say my customer must be rich to have me at their property almost 52 weeks a year. Times like that are great for punchline and marketing, I let them know that it is not that expensive. Biggest challenge is educating homeowners and telling them how many services they are missing out on. You can't sell full meal deal to everybody, but the ones that like prestige and perfection this is it. I have found valuable info how to modify my 12 month contract to avoid getting hurt. asking downpayment when contract is signed is a big help. If client is behind I would not hesitate to stop services. When you are always 30 days behind it is a different story. I have learned sertain types of people cause more trouble and sertain are happy no matter what . I set down and separated easy clients from different. I will tell you working for Bisiness owners is a different ballgame compared to salaried clients. In my opinion being more carefull with so called untamed clientelle ,showed true collors of everyone in contract. I just hate dealing with keep up with the jones type, kind that lives larger then can afford, everything to them is a hagle and they trully think of themselves as a special breed. For example (car dealers or anyone working for dealership in management. )
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Perfect touch landscapes

I have learned 12 month contracts work well in subdivisions where trees are mature, customers that have mulch installed instead of rock and neighbours are hard to penetrate. I have had people stop by and say my customer must be rich to have me at their property almost 52 weeks a year. Times like that are great for punchline and marketing, I let them know that it is not that expensive. Biggest challenge is educating homeowners and telling them how many services they are missing out on. You can't sell full meal deal to everybody, but the ones that like prestige and perfection this is it. I have found valuable info how to modify my 12 month contract to avoid getting hurt. asking downpayment when contract is signed is a big help. If client is behind I would not hesitate to stop services. When you are always 30 days behind it is a different story. I have learned sertain types of people cause more trouble and sertain are happy no matter what . I set down and separated easy clients from different. I will tell you working for Bisiness owners is a different ballgame compared to salaried clients. In my opinion being more carefull with so called untamed clientelle ,showed true collors of everyone in contract. I just hate dealing with keep up with the jones type, kind that lives larger then can afford, everything to them is a hagle and they trully think of themselves as a special breed. For example (car dealers or anyone working for dealership in management. )
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

holy shet. proof read it before you post please.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you need to provide a timeline of services to your customers, so they know when to expect certain services.

I've mentioned this in other threads...I don't offer 12 month contracts to new customers...only returning customers, and the contract payment dates are the last day of the month, Jan-Dec. So they've already made 2-3 payments to me before I've done any work. If you run them April-March, you're inviting trouble.

8. Perfect touch landscapes

I don't pick up all customers in months that I want, they come year round, but you are right I got to specify dates of services.
    Got any suggestions how to best word it
    thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

For a first, use proper grammar.

10. Perfect touch landscapes

Ok dad, thanks for taking your time and reminding me.what could I do with out you?
    Posted via Mobile Device