Sotheast LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Oct 5, 2003.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Florida.

I have, in the past, been slow about getting my winter rye on the ground. It never fails when I do get around to it we get a cold snap and then the seed doesn't germinate. This year I want to get a head start. I've set my goal to have everything overseeded by 10-15 and no later. I'd like to know how early/late every one else has done it and the success/failure ratio and also what brand seed you have used. I've been using Oregon seed and in places I get tall weedy grass (like right at the front doors of one of my commercial accounts) and I wanted to try another brand.

Any input would be helpful.

2. HOMER

Ok, maybe we could venture into the Carolina's.................or even over to La.

I'm not picky, just need to get a feel for what others are doing!

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

did mine 2 weeks ago

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

put my winter rye out yesterday in north GA.used pennington fancy annual rye and lesco new lawn starter,can't remember the numbers.Worked fantastic last year,I cut all winter,green and lush till march.

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

By Oct. 1st here.

6. HOMER

Looks like I might be late again!

I was hesitant to do it too early because I didn't want it to get too hot after the grass came up and kill it off.

Looking at the average temps for this time of year I suppose it would be about right.

Thanks for the replys

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I get my seed from Lesco. Lately I've been puting it down around the 1st or 2nd week of Nov and sometimes as late as Thanksgiving. Had too much trouble putting it down in Oct and the heat killing it.

8. Speedy

Speedy LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Put some out last week. Will get the rest this week I hope.

9. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I had that problem too. So this year I started early. I finished all of mine last week. I may have a few late ones to do but my regulars are done.