1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sound good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K c m, Jan 9, 2005.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

There is a local flower shop in the middle of a densly populated area around me. Doubles, small singles, that sort of stuff. Very irish where everyone knows each other. Well about mid summer i drove by and the grass was about a foot long. so i let it go and about 4 weeks ago i picked up some flowers for moms b-day. no biggie. Well i decided to talk to the guy and proceded to tell him he had a nice property but the current lco was not doing that hot of a job. Well he then told me they cut their own grass. :blush:

However this place receives a lot of business. and i was wondering if it would be smart to mow this lawn (not very big but nice enough to stripe it and make it attractive) for free and advertize through them?

Maybe work out a deal with them? I do understand some of you guys mow churches for free which is cool. Just some advice on this would be sweet.

thanks in advance.
  2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

its worth a shot. the worst he can say is no
  3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Big reason you should always ask who cuts their grass before commenting on it. Better yet, never knock another's quality of work. This type of thing will come back to bite you in the ass, no way I would let you mow my grass after knocking my work. Good Luck
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

...if you feed a stray dog, he'll bring friends to dinner..... :D
  5. K c m

understandable. However mr. medic the grass on avg was about 10 - 12 inches. I guess your right. Ill give it a shot however.
  6. K c m

o ya im not sure you read the whole thing. I said cut his grass for free

if i could advertise through his business. Never even though of it until tonight.
  7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I would sell it as a barter and not as advertising. This way you can tell them for x amount of flowers per month along with a small lawn sign placed near entrance, you will maintain the lawn for free.

If you really want to do this then ask for a low amount of flowers, but get at least something out of it besides advertising (because that might not pay off).

If you get the job, tell your wife she can thank me for the flowers she gets every month :)
  8. K c m

That may work out mr. soupy.

may i ask where the name soupy came from?
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

My last name is Sale. I started working at the age of 15 (work permit) and the guys there nicknamed me "Soupy Sale". It has stuck for 19 years and everyone but my family calls me Soupy.

At the age of 21 can you tell me the connection?
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth