Sound like a good idea?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Feb 26, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

What would you guys think about having a meeting or something of that sort, say at like a hotel banquet room. Just for people in our business. Say a bunch of LCO's from your general area come together for the ultimate meeting. Discuss different things, possibly have local dealers there maybe with info on new product and what not. And whowever was holding this meeting, would maybe throw together a nice presentation. I would say it would be best to have this meeting sometime before the season would start. And have it basically like a motivation presentation. (i.e. building profit, gaining accounts, different marketing technics) Maybe also have people who attend come up and speak about what they want, ask questions and such. Of course this wouldnt be free, because the room would not be free. Would you guys attend something like that. I definetly think it would be a good idea.
    Please tell me if you like or dislike the idea, and what you would like to see in the meeting. please give different ideas about what you would have at this meeting if yo were to hold it.

2. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

I think this would be a great idea. I am near Chicago so if you put something like this together, be sure to let me know about it.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Cos just had one last weekend. There wasn't a big turnout.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Anytime you can get together with fellow people in the same profession and share ideas is great (especially if you're not close competitors too).

Although I think your timimg might be a little off right now cause a lot of us will be gearing up to start again soon in the next couple of weeks...or less.

Not so sure about me here in NJ with still a foot of snow on the ground and more probably to come tomorrow evening into Friday.

5. precisionlawn

Well, it would be for next season anyway.
    I would definetly take time to plan it so it would have a decent turnout. Well I would hope. The problem would be cost. Would you be willing to pay to go?

6. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

I would be willing to pay. Maybe $100 or less?? Maybe LCO's could bring in copies of their contracts, bid forms, and stuff and we could swap them??

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be willing to pay...gonna have to cause the airlines aren't going to fly me on my good looks...LOL.

If you mean pay for registration, conference room, key note speaker, etc., sure. Nothing's free today.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not to sound like a downer, here, but personally, I don't think this idea would fly very well. EsPECially the idea of "trading contracts" and such. Oh sure, you and I know that it would be for the benefit of the industry in yor area, but competition just doesn't see it that way. In the first place, there is no "who's who" in a meeting like that. Is someone really going to give their contract away to people who will or can be bidding against them in the future? With organizations that meet, there is a mission statement, a charter (or constitution), agenda, and rules and policies that guide the conduct of it's members to avoid things like employee theft bargaining and things of that nature. If people aren't that involved in something (such as a one time meeting) there can be all sorts of things like this happening. Personally, for the infrequent gatherings, I'll just stick to the dealer openhouses and the local industry shows.

9. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I have friends that are my competitors in buss., we all talk, but are limited in talking money, I would never tell them about lawnsite,... to much knowledge I don't want them to know

So I don't know how I would feel swapping contracts and other parts of my business to my local competition.

10. precisionlawn

Im not talking about swapping contracts. I would like it to be a motivational service. Have tips on how to increase profite, lower overhead, Gaining business, marketing, and different things of that nature.