sources for light bulbs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by ADVANSCAPES, Feb 7, 2008.

1. ADVANSCAPES

ADVANSCAPES LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a source (perhaps online) where i could purchase mr16,
    and mr11's cheaper than the $4-5 dollars at john deere landscapes. Are all lamps equal in quality? Just trying to save some money and not sacrifice quality.
    Thanks
    Alan

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Unlike human beings all lamps are not created equally........In most professionals opinion you want to go with lamps from one of the big four..Phillips, GE, Ushio, or Sylvania. We use Ushio and GE lamps. Remember you get what you pay for, don't cheap out on the lamp, it isnt worth it.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

The lamp is the engine... You wouldn't put a Kia engine in a BMW now would you? You are not going to get 'great light' out of a 'cheap lamp'.

You get what you pay for.

4. ADVANSCAPES

ADVANSCAPES LawnSite Member

Forgive me.... I am new to the landscape lighting business. Being a professional guitarist (in addition to a landscape contractor) I know that power and pre-amp tubes used in guitar amps are only really made by a few companies, and that there's not a nickel's worth of difference between them quality wise. I assumed light bulbs were the same way. Thanks for all the information everyone. I learn alot from this site.
    Alan

5. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

Atlas specialty lighting has great pricing.
    www.ASLTG.com
    Sean C.

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Sean, Atlas has some interesting products, but their website sucks and is not very user friendly.

8. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Ushio and GE are what we use. My one electric distributor carrys Ushio and my landscape distributor carrys GE so depending on where im around thats where i get my bulbs. My maintenance truck has Ushio because once a month it gets restocked at the electric store.

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Thank you very much Tim!

I've been looking for a better source for GE.

My local supplier refuses to carry them and has switched to Halco/ Prism lamps.

Though some of you guys seemed to like them:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=172804

That thread is from about a year ago. Still like them?

10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

The Kia 1.8 liter engine is a Mazda engine used in the Protege' from the mid-90s. That and the 2.0 liter engine used in 1994-2002 Sportages were used from Mazda and if the timing belt breaks, it will NOT damage the valves, thus a non-interference engine.

Sincerely,
    Google