South Carolina

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leaflawnandlimb, Apr 23, 2001.

1. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Just rolled back in from myrtle beach (man is it nice down there) Just one question, whats with all the pine straw, don't you guys use bark mulch? Also I can see why y'all ( sorry , brought the accent home with me ) are beef'n about scrubs, seems to me that the most popular machine was a murray lawn tractor or troy built wide cut.

I can't wait to start cutting, today I picked up my new lazer xp, 31hp 60" man does she screem! I'm curious to see how it stacks up to my 25hp lazer. I'll let y'all know how it does, it's still to wet to get the big machines on the lawns.

2. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Pine needles, or pinestraw as some folks call it are very popular here. They are plentiful, reasonably inexpensive, easy to apply, and a lot of my clients like the look of them. Glad that you enjoyed the beach. Haven't had a chance to get down there since late last summer.
    Bill Craig

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at wal-mart last night and saw the homeowner special, a brand spanking new Murray for only $1899 or so. At that price, it only makes sense to get that instead of a high-priced ztr, right? I mean, hey, they both should cut about the same, right? Right? Keeping expenses down ... hehe.
    (No, I did NOT get a Murray. I would love to try a 31 hp Lazer!!)

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

which murray did you find that cost that much

5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not real sure, awm, I just walked by it on my way in to get some nuts n bolts (yes, it was that late). I think it was one of the garden tractors.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Pine needles work better in certin areas than bark. On hills where bark washes off during heavy rains pine needles will stay.

Why, anything wrong with pine needles?

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We actually laid our first pine needles a couple of weeks ago.

A new customer said she had a few bags of pine needles that she had collected from under her pine trees, and she wanted us to put them around her house and in her beds. She was a real kook, (not because she liked pine needles), but because she was really out there. She wanted her own personal gardner. Pick this weed, dig this hole, only aerate half of the yard, and on and on and on. We ended up dropping her.

Anyway though, those pine needles are really easy to lay. I personally don't like the look of them, but sure wish they were the thing up here. Much easier to deal with.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have used pine needles in azalea beds for the acid, but I just don't like the look of them. I know they use them further south, but I just like wood products better. Dave

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I noticed that too, when I was in South Carolina. I looked at every mulch bed and it was nothing but pine needles. I even asked the front desk at the hotel, what the deal was. They had no answer, but that that is all they use. Not 1 bed had mulch in it.

10. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

In North and South Carolina it is genrally considered that needles are better than mulch for the upscale homes. Most of the Developments in Mooresville (Race City USA)for you NASCAR buffs mostly use pine needles. I know I perfer to put them out over mulch.