1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Souther competition!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Commando, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Contacted an old relative in Ensley, Alabama....
    Told him, I'd like to move south, and start up a mowing business..
    He laughed, stating the mowing competiton is thicker than Kentucky bluegrass
    every truck hauls a trailer, with at least 4 mowers is this true...?

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

he's right So, true when I started 8 years ago there were only a handful, now everyone in their brother is trying, most fail, lose some bids from time to time to the "lowballers". I would not be wanting to get into a market today. Born & raised in Flint. MI

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No it isn't, first Kentucky bluegrass isn't that thick at all in comparison and most actually hire mexicans to drive the trucks each with at least 4 mowers, that way it's cheaper.

4. nosparkplugs

H2B bill has not been renewed, so work visa Mexicans are leaving Memphis. Those companies must actually have proof they are trying to hire american works, before they can reapply for the H2B work program labor help.

5. Turf Commando

If this is true, where are they going then...? back to Mexico..? don't we wish...

6. nosparkplugs

I get folks wanting jobs everywhere I stop, getting tired of it, although it keeps my guys incheck

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They are thick here and this is a very rural area. The largest LCO in the county told me they lost XXXX thousands of dollars last year due to competition and the drought. Every body and his brother has a trailer and crapsman, low balling big time.

8. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

About 4 years ago I moved to Pelham which is a little south of Birmingham. I have some in-laws there and decided I wanted to do the year round lawn work there. HAH!!

Most of the folks I talked to about work would not hire a northerner and my prices were way higher than the guys that picked up their day labor at the corner gas station every day. After much pain blues and agony we packed it up and moved back here.

I have never been so happy to see a snowflake as I was that year!!

9. Turf Commando

Excuse my ignorance are you saying, they disliked you because your from the north...like how you talk or conduct yourself or worse like Yankee...?
    Is this whole North vs South beef still going on...?

10. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

N vs S beef - yes