Southern centipede lawn yearly maint program

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by waltonjr1, Mar 22, 2008.

1. waltonjr1

waltonjr1 LawnSite Member

I realize and understand why some of you would be reluctant to give out info to a home owner as you are trying to make a living but I will ask anyway. Im looking for a recommended year round service plan I guess you could call it from someone who has expeirience in this area. I just built a new house in a middle to upper class neighborhood and would like to keep my lawn in the best possible shape I can. Im looking for advice as to when to aerate, top dress, seed, fertilze, winterize, etc. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

That a BIG Big subject. Do this: In your county, there's a County Extention Agent--Probably "LSU County Extention Agent". Make an appointment with him/her. Take notes and go from there. Here's a little help to get you started http://www.lesco.com/images/ZoneGuides/Transition.pdf
    I know it vague, but it's almost like how to remove an appendix by phone.
    Good luck with the agent--there're familiar with the area and grass.
    Roy

3. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Centipede is fairly maintenance-free. Aerate when it greens up real good, within the next few weeks. Fert once in May, or aerate/fert same time.

Forget about seeding. If you have a problem area, sod it, usually cost about $1 apeice, or $150/200 a pallet. If you have erosion problems and need to topdress just go to the local sand pit and get a truckload of clean topsoil, sling it with a shovel and use a bow rake (flat side) to spread it around. Don't put it so heavy that the blades get covered.

Water as needed and you're good to go.

4. waltonjr1

Thanks for the advice, as far as seeding I was thinking of maybe putting down some rye seeds for the winter months to keep a green lawn but maybe it would not be a good idea. My lawn is still pretty fresh sod that was laid down in November, would I be wasting my time to Aerate this season? Are the 20$ walk behind aerators sufficient for residential use?

5. waltonjr1

Thanks for the advice, as far as seeding I was thinking of maybe putting down some rye seeds for the winter months to keep a green lawn but maybe it would not be a good idea. My lawn is still pretty fresh sod that was laid down in November, would I be wasting my time to Aerate this season? Are the 20$ walk behind aerators sufficient for residential use?

6. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

If you prepped the soil well before laying the sod you probably wouldn't need to aerate this quickly. And if you laid the sod in November it hasn't even had a chance to root in yet so if it were me I think I would just let it grow for a few months with a minimum of disturbance.

I over seeded with annual rye this year and I'll never do that again. My yard was electric green in January but it's the worst grass to mow. I'll probably try perennial rye next winter. The nice part about overseeding is that your mower gets used periodically during the winter which is good for the engine.

7. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

Like RonB said its pretty much maintenance free, but I would get a soil test before you fertilize. Centipede can't handle a lot of nitrogen.For summer weeds I use Image or Prompt herbicide.