Southern guys, Bermuda discussion thread

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by macgyver_GA, May 18, 2013.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Don't take your McClane in until the sand is gone, that stuff will eat reel's and bedknive's.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice. Raise the height of cut until the sand is 100 % covered by grass and even then, do not drop the reel down to the sand ever. The golf courses use an old, soon to be retired reel and bedknife set when they are mowing just sanded greens.

3. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

The guy that sharpened my reel said the same thing. He said use the rotary for a little while until the grass has thickened up quite a bit and the sand has been watered/rained in a lot.

4. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to put the reel in the shop. So I won't be using it. How does the top dress job look.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. gulfjoe

6. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I would broom that one more time, when dry, at a 90* angle to the direction you went the first time. You don't want to smother any grass.

7. gulfjoe

I was told that it would come right through the high sand. The sand may be a 1/2" high at it highest/deepest point
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Buried like this? I see people say that but they pretty much covered mine. Here it is after I watered it once. Then after 8 weeks and today.

[​IMG]

After 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

Today cutting with my Trimmer, second lowest setting.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  9. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Great pics and advise. I want to level mine but I have about 8-9 k. I just couldn't see myself doing it with a shovel. Wonder if a push spreader opened all the way would work?

I also don't have a reel mower. Any advise for scalping with a push mower? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have spots where the mower bottoms out and cuts dirt.

How long after sod establishment would you wait? Mine has been about a year on the ground.

10. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Many folks don't scalp it first. I think you'll be fine with a rotary. I used a rotary (Honda) for years before I leveled. The leveling helps eliminate the higher cutting to avoid "crop circles." If your turf has been down a year and is doing well, you can level now. One thing the service did before applying the sand, was to apply Uflexx 46-0-0 fert. It really pushes the growth through the sand.