Southern guys, Bermuda discussion thread

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by macgyver_GA, May 18, 2013.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

Wrager

Please make me feel better about this... I was looking at my yard today and was brushing away some sand I my grass was yellowing pretty bad under there And still and had about .5 inches till it got to the top. How often did you water during your top dress? It poured here Sunday, and I have not watered till this evening after seeing the yellow grass (have been waiting for these thunderstorms that keep missing me). How Long did it take for your grass to get back to normal after the initial top dress? Please make me feel better!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. gulfjoe

Here come the thunderstorms
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

It should start to come back in about 3 weeks. Your comment about the yellowing makes me think; that's probably why the service scalped it down to the dirt. Then there's no blade left to turn yellow. Worry not! It will be just fine.

4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

It'll come back.

These thunderstorms are putting me behind schedule. Looks like i'll be working saturday to play catch up.

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

6. gulfjoe

I scalped mine as low as possible but I guess that wasn't low enough... I will post pictures this afternoon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. gulfjoe

6 Days post level.

grass covered in sand not doing well. I am very scared I killed 25% of my front lawn. I know bermuda is almost impossible to kill but I am not getting warm fuzzys from the looks of things. take a look at these photos and tell me what you think...

Problem1.jpg

Problem2.jpg

problem3.jpg

problem5.jpg

problem4.jpg

8. macgyver_GA

Lol you're fine. It'll come back. I think you're over reacting a little.

9. macgyver_GA

Wow with all this rain, my bermuda is growing like crazy. I'm mowing every other day. Plus it's seed head time of year. I'll reel it at 1/2" then the next day the seed heads have already grown back.

10. gulfjoe

I'm sure I'm stressing a lil more than I should but I don't like the looks of some of this. The grass looks rotten under the sand. Ill make it come back one way or the other seed, sod, or sprig. I have another issue I am not evening stressing about but all this heavy rain is making trenches in the sand where the water is running off.
    Posted via Mobile Device