Southern guys, Bermuda discussion thread

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by macgyver_GA, May 18, 2013.

1. I totally agree. Id rather do a couple nice homes per day vs 30 mow and go lawns where nobody cares how their place looks...i don't knock the mow and go model, just not what i like doing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

Doc,

What do you recommend for me... I purchased a 20" McClane off craigs list. Its in good running shape but it cut the grass uneven (left side higher than right). I was going to take it the only mower shop in town that sharpens reels and let them get it tip top shape and sharpen the reel. I am very mechanically inclined but I have zero experience in back lapping or adjusting reels. I have attempted adjusting the reel height on this mower and now it will not spin the reel when it is in grass, It actually starts smoking the belt. I have attempted to tighten the tension on the belt and raise the reel all the way up, but then it cuts so high it almost defeats the purpose of the reel. I am hoping to level my lawn in the next 3-4 weeks if I can get my funds up and a little help from friends.

3. gulfjoe

What is everyone's opinion on the 30 day apps? I am thinking of going to every 30days also.

4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. That's the direction I'd like to take my business. Obviously you'll get some more high maintenance customers.

5. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Does the reel spin when it's not under load (grass)?

6. gulfjoe

7. TCW

TCW LawnSite Member

When you adjusted the height...did you use the quick adjust hook/pin on the right side of the mower? It almost sounds like the reel is too tight against the bedknife. However, if it spins freely when not cutting, that probably isn't the case. How high are you cutting the grass, and how much are you taking off? Too much cut at once will clog the reel quickly.

Something is holding the reel in place when under a load, if I understand correctly that the belt smoking is from the engine pulley spinning in place.

8. The companies here that are doing millions are doing high end homes. That means reel mowers, annuals all year, new installs and renovations. Sure, you get some picky people, but when your spending that much, they have a right to be
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

He probably needs to run a rotary mower over the lawn set as low as it will go. Then start mowing with the McLane set to cut at 13/16". That is done by putting the axles bearing the two rubber casters in the middle position on the front frame, then using the single fine adjustment positioned so the casters are pivoted down, raising the mower to the 13/16" position. The manual detailing the set up and adjustments are available here. http://www.mclanemower.com/owners_manuals.htm If the reel blades turn freely and are ground square rather than with a significant relief, that is a problem that a knowledgeable shop needs to fix. An ignorant shop will simply spin grind it and give it back to him. I repeat, the zero relief, no contact setting only works on bent grass greens cut daily and with a shop available to spin grind as soon as the reel is dull. Reels with no relief will jam and smoke the belt when asked to mow grass at lawn heights.

10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Give the shop a chance to do the adjustment/sharpening, but ask if they relief grind and backlap. Grinding a McLane reel down to nothing by spin grinding is a very expensive f up. I am talking as in $300 in parts, not including the labor to fit the new reel and bed knife back in. I hope that reel is a 7 blade reel. 7 blade reels work better on bermuda kept at home lawn heights. 10 blade reels are only if you are keeping the grass at 1/2" or less and mowing every day. A lawn is lucky if it is mowed every 7 days in Hawaii. The usual is more like every 14 days or twice in a month. A properly adjusted McLane 7 blade has no problems mowing a lawn under those conditions. Maybe some scalping if the lawn is fertilized a lot of slow release, but the mower is fine.