Southern guys, Bermuda discussion thread

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by macgyver_GA, May 18, 2013.

1. TCW

TCW LawnSite Member

Here's 2 of our lawns that have been leveled over the course of 4 years. Anywhere from 1/8"-1/4" of sand was added each year, gone over with a #1 drag, and rolled once. Most recent fertilizer application was Scotts GreenMax, 2 weeks ago.

The front yard in the first few pictures were mowed with a 25" TruCut, no roller. The back yard pictures are of a different house, mowed with a John Deere 2500A triplex greens mower. After seeing the difference in curb appearance, we ordered a roller for the TruCut- I can't wait to see how well it stripes.

(Some of the pictures aren't loading...I'll keep working on it.)

IMG_1134.jpg

2. TCW

TCW LawnSite Member

Here's a few more...that's my Dad mowing with the TruCut, I mowed with the JD 2500A. IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

3. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for critiques on my chemical plan/schedule for Columbus GA.

February I put down Lesco 0-0-8 Pre M with Stone wall.

March 15th I put down Lesco 25-4-11??? with crab grass control (reccomended by my JDL rep) cant quite remember what it was

May- Sept every 30 days Lesco 28-0-3.

I am going to put out 3 40lb bags of Ironite here pretty soon to really get it going green for June.

right now I mow at 2" with my 36" walk behind.

Right now I water once a week for 45 minutes a zone, that probably about to go up, but I need to measure what it is putting using the tuna can measuring method.

I hand pull most weeds, but I spot spray some areas with Celsius and a Monument 75WG mix. I dont have many weeds anyways.

4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

You need some pre-emergent in the fall and winter. Fall especially to prevent weeds in the winter/early spring.

When does your bermuda come out of dormancy in columbus? Up here, I usually put down my 25-0-10 dimension app in Mid April as the bermuda is coming out of dormancy.

If you put down the nitrogen too early, you'll waste a lot of it.

5. gulfjoe

I do out per m out in the fall I just left it out. That 25-0-10 may be what I put out. I'm not 100%. Early April is when it started to green up this year. When and what do you put out in the winter
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. macgyver_GA

I put down a split app of prodiamine (stonewall/barricade) in Sept and around Christmas. I also put down Lime during the christmas app that way it has worked its way into the soil by the time the bermuda is growing again. I also spot spray with glyphosate around that time since the bermuda is usually in full dormancy. I think I'm going to replace one of those prodiamine apps with simazine this year though since I bought a skid sprayer this year.

7. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

I curious what the most economical and efficient method might be to top dress a 2 acre bermuda lawn? I've been wanting to do this for a couple of years now but haven't figured a way to yet. Any ideas?

8. gulfjoe

In sections.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. With a topdresser.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. macgyver_GA

Curious if you guys have a "dirty" lawn cleanup mix you prefer?

For example, a new homeowner calls you to start service and the yard was neglected by the previous owner or it was a foreclosure.

What do you prefer to clean it up and get it looking good again? Especially this time of year when temps are 80+ I've got one like that that I'm looking at in the morning.