Southern guys, Bermuda discussion thread

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by macgyver_GA, May 18, 2013.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

20 oz Revolver, 3 oz Celsius, 4 oz Dismiss. Applied in 0.25% MSO 40 gallons per acre boom or single tip fan on a hand piece.

2. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

Would it still be necessary to sweep the sand in with a broom after topdressing?

3. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

Not going to argue with greendoc, but I had a nightmare lawn I started in February, I made 2 apps of Celsius at med rate with a 1/4 teaspoon of monument 75wg and the place looks 100 times better. Homeowner thinks I'm a miracle worker
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. gulfjoe

Yes to make it "pool table" level
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. gulfjoe

I have been told before but refresh my memory, why do we use river sand of regular sand (masonry)
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

When grassy weeds and sedges are significantly suppressed without making the lawn look like a missile test site, that does look like a miracle. You also applied the product correctly. The labels on those products are rather specific about how they are to be applied.

7. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Some don't like river sand because there can be pebbles in it. On other sites they recommend sharp or masonry sand. I'm not sure what LL used when they did mine. I think they sell the stuff as an amendment so you can apply it yourself.

8. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

How difficult is it to spread & level? How many sq ft could one person comfortably do in a day do you think?

9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Porosity, masonry sand has it, river sand dosen't. Micro-pore's and macro-pore's are what water, nutrient's and cement cling to. The price of these sand's reflect this.

10. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for a little advice guys. I picked up a new yard this season that was sodded with a hybrid Bermuda. The problem is, I don't know what kind it is and the current homeowner didnt put the sod down. Around here Bermuda is considered to be a nuisance and undesirable in a lawn. However, reading through this thread has intrigued me with the potential of Bermuda. The owner came from a house that had a well manicured fescue lawn, which I would be fine caring for. What I'm looking for is where to start with caring for this yard.

I will start with some info about it. Trugreen was treating the yard, but I put an estimate in on fert and weed control and she fired them. So I'm in complete control of this yard. Bermuda is just now coming in around here, but mowing will of course be done on a weekly basis when it comes time. There is no irrigation system here unfortunately. So far all I have put down chemical wise was a granular 15-0-5 with .21% dimension about 2 weeks ago. I put it down when I started seeing some green come into the yard. Trugreen had already put down a broadleaf app, but I'm not sure what it was. Mowing will be done with a 48" walker.

What I'm worried about is being stuck in the fescue regimen of slow release low nitrogen apps with blanket apps of drive or 3way. I'm fairly new at this stuff, but am willing to learn. My question to you all is what really works best with Bermuda lawns? What types of fert? And what as far as weed control? This customer wants a nice green Bermuda lawn and is perfectly willing to pay for it. They are the kind that enjoy having one of the nicest yards on the block. Of course I won't go as far as some of the putting greens I have seen in this thread, as the sod was not laid nearly smooth enough for that.
    Posted via Mobile Device