Southern Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassguy01, Sep 13, 2007.

1. grassguy01

grassguy01 LawnSite Member

What is the mowing season in South Carolina? Up north there are defenite mowing seasons and snow removal seasons, my brother is trying to find out when is the time to talk to people about bidding in South Carolina. Does the season end in October? or is the season longer?
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

All my accounts are year-round accounts. Although you rarely mow in the dead of winter, you do run enough to never have to winterize your equipment (except the bed edger, aerator, etc.).

Plus, all my fescue accounts get fertlizer, lime applications, and pre-emergence in the winter months. If the ground ever does get covered in snow, it won't be there more than a few days.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Down around Charleston or Columbia you'll likely be cutting up to Xmas and it probably starts up again around end of March maybe it's even a little longer, that's just my take on things from here in va plus I used to be stationed in Charleston so I know you can forget snow removal. :laugh:

It's nice down there thou, sure is, oh yeah and watch out for them palmetto bugs.
  4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in beaufort which is almost at the bottom of the state. All of my accounts are year round. 12 months a year. Once grass goes dormant, which it never completely does, you have leaves falling off trees, and leaves fall from october all the way to late april. Oak trees start dumping here in mid february and can make a mess in a hurry. Anyone that wants a real landscape maintenance service wants year round. I dont mess with the people that only want it cut in the growing season.
  5. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

All my accounts are year round accounts. I have all fescue lawns and we contract for 40 mows a year, depending on seasonal changes. The other 12 weeks are usually consumed by either a dry August and winter months where we pick up leaves. It works out for me and the customer that way.