southern turf irr q

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike M, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Just wondering what is a general starting point for irrigation in the coastal southeast.

I mostly service centipede, and set two days with rotors on 22 min, spray heads 15. Am I close?? I know there are many variables, but I was wondering about ballpark estimates.

I read on the Clemson extension website to use cans to measure the amount of time it takes to get 1/2" of water, or to that effect.

Any tips would be helpful, thanks.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Learn the trade...there is no "general starting point".
    Portable soil moisture meters are a good way to adjust
    a existing system. page 347. www.benmeadows.com

3. Mike L. is correct.... sprayheads on an average have a precipitation rate of about 1.5" hr..and rotors have about .5" hr....This would be a good starting point, without auditing your system there is no telling...The precipitation rate will depend on the Head,nozzle type, size, spacing,pressure, etc...
    In general run rotors 3 times as long as sprayheads...

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

5. Mike M

from usa

Clemson suggests 1.5" per week of water, so I guess, if I'm up to it, I could check rainfall in inches for each month (readily avail online) and divide 4.3 weeks, to see what I may expect from actual rain. Then supplement to get 1.5", based on the assumption of 1.5" per hour from the rotors.

Okay, I see the instrument that measures saturation from 1 to 10, do I use this to see how long it takes to go up a certain increment?

Can anyone refer me to some online reading that covers how to calculate irrigation times?

6. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Rotors will generally give you .5 to .7 inches/hour. The 1.5 you stated is for sprays.

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out irrigation.org

Look into ET based smart controllers

8. Mike M

from usa

Oh, I had the rotor/spray thing backwards. At least I spelled rotor correctly.

I was just reading up on the smart controllers. That sounds cool. Seems like it takes a lot of guess work and speculation out of the process. Extremely efficient use of water, too.

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

And so their appeal... They should be required on all new installs, nothing else should be manufactured from here on out.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I like that spelling friend!!!!!!

::sheds tear::