Southern Zosia fertilization

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bunton Guy, May 6, 2006.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been maintaining 2 Zosia lawns for several years. Yet to get the fert part of the maintenance on this yard down yet. I have gone to Lesco to buy fert just for this yard. I put down what the suggest with little or no results.

What do you guys put down on Zosia to get it to green up. The guys at lesco told me that this time of year (spring/early summer) that zosia can handle all the nitrogen it can get. I thought in that case I can put down Urea??:weightlifter:

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not agree with that statement.

While that is true for Bermuda, Zoysia is a different situation. Many think that managing the two are the same, but not the case. Zoysia requires less Nitrogen than Bermuda because of its slower growth habit. You can generally apply 3 lbs of N/M on Zoysia in a season.

Because Zoysia can develop thatch problems, you don't want to push growth with too much Nitrogen. A portion of quick release N is okay for your Spring treatment, but be sure to have lots of slow release in that same application as well as Potassium. Zoysia would do well with the rest of your Summer apps being all slow release (SCU, Nitroform). Flush growth for Zoysia is not a good thing.

In the Fall, it is prone to getting Zoysia Patch. A good preventative measure is to apply a fungicide in early September. If you saw Zoysia with dead patches this Spring, it was probably caused by the Zoysia Patch back in the Fall.

And if you are having trouble with your lawns, you should do a soil test to determine what nutrients are out of balance.

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

The only current problem is that its not nearly as green as I have been able to get it in the past. 2 years ago it was so dark green/blue that the stripes would hurt your eyes in the sun. At this point in the season I have it weed free & no dead patches that I can see.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe your pH has declined since a couple of years ago. Still suggest doing a soil test. The few bucks you spend on the test will save you lots of speculation on what the turf needs.