Southwest Minnesota Lawn Care Business Questions

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by Paco75, May 27, 2008.

1. Paco75

Paco75 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone!! I am interested in purchasing a lawn spraying business (fertilizer and weed control) in southwest Minnesota. The business I am looking at currently has 300 clients for spring and fall spraying. Currently the owner does the spraying himself and said he could add about 100 more clients before he would need an employee. Annual income is roughly 40,000 with 25,000 in the pocket after chemicals, gas, licenses, insurance, etc... He is asking 40,000 for the client list and his equipment (everything but the truck), he also has lawn aerating equipment but rarely uses it. He doesnt advertise much and is currently in 5 cities within a 15 mile radius. My first question is if this is a fair price? ( I will negotiate with him) Next question is: I realize that spraying would take up most of 2 months in spring and 2 months in the fall, so what other than mowing would be good ad-ons?(deck sealing, driveway sealing, gutter cleaning, hedge trimming, decorative fencing, laying rock, mulch, etc..) My third question is: Other than snow removal, what other opportunities would be available and practical once the snow flies? Any ideas, answers, suggestions, advice, etc.. is greatly appreciated!! Just wanted to add that the current owner is willing to have the buyer work with him to learn and also for future free advice. Owner is selling due to health issues. :confused:

2. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

First off, I am somewhat close to you. I live in Arlington. I've been looking into getting into spraying when I turn 18. Mowing is a good add-on for spraying, but then in spring and fall you have to mow and spray, it can get pretty tough I would think. Maybe mulching or landscaping would be good, then you wouldn't need to have to take jobs in spring or fall to let you just spray.

3. Paco75

Paco75 LawnSite Member

Just wanted to thankyou for your input. Do you or does anyone else think that this would be a good deal? I really would like to know. I worked 15 years for a manufacturing company until I was laid off in November of 2007. Then the company sold in February of 2008 and they terminated everyone. (Got to love corporate america!) My unemployment has run out and I cannot find a job anywhere. I have always thought about starting my own lawn business but now it seems more of a necessity. What do you people think?? Thanks. I have did a lot of searching in these forums and there are lots of knowledgeable people on here. Great site!

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I say take the leap to lawn care. Working outside, being your own boss, making good money. There's nothing like it.