southwestern irrigators

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BrandonV, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Booty .... the boron & selenium problem is primarily a San Joaquin Valley problem, specifically Kesterson Reservoir historically speaking.
  2. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a lot of concerns regarding water conservation and best use of our resources.
    Lots of things to talk about.

Dwindling Sierra Nevada snowpack due to climate change.

Environmentalist do-gooders wanting to remove Hetch Hetchy from the water system and restore that valley to wilderness.

How much water is being recycled/ reclaimed? Locally a lot goes into purple pipes and waters landscaping in industrial parks and gold courses (as I recall).

My grandfather retired his lawns in 1976, when drought first became part of our vocabulary here, and got into cactus and succulents and a few natives.

I haven't installed a sod lawn since 1996, after reading Cadillac Desert by Mark Reisner.

More later. Off to a job now.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't doubt it. I read a article a while back saying how many of the man-made lakes (which there are several near me) have increased severity of thunderstorms/rain fall. I'd believe this in a heartbeat because of what we call "lake effect rain" I live 20 miles from a large lake and a typical .25" rain here will result in a 3" rain there consistently. I'm not in favor of tearing down the damn though :)