Southwestern Ohio fert and squirt programs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clut0350, Sep 29, 2004.

1. clut0350

clut0350 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'm a rookie in the pesticide and fertilizer branch of the industry. I will be ( hopefully) licensed and insured by Spring 2005. Could anyone help me out on a ballpark figure on pricing per 1000sqft. I went to the local Lesco dealer today and obtained a quote for equipment as well as a 5-step program. I have a good idea of my cost per acre. How do we quote lawns in this field. I get the feeling that it is done by sq ft. and not acres. I have some experience with the lawn cutting and lanscaping aspect of the business so I am not completely ignorant. Should my application price be the same on all 5 applications or should I adjust it to whatever I am applying ( fertilizer & weed control vs. a fertilizer only application). Ex.#2 Pre-M in the early spring vs. fertilizer and broadleaf in late spring.? Should they all be the same price or should i have a different price for each different application on the same yard? We currently sub-contract our fert and squirt out to another lawncare company so I will not be starting from scratch. I am thinking of starting out with a 200-gallon skid sprayer( Lesco) an 80lbs Stainless Steel Spreader (Lesco) and finally a 4-gal backpack sprayer and a 3-gallon hand held sprayer. One for selective and another for nonselective herbicide. Any advice or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Hey New Guy,

Do a search on pricing.
    There is lots of info out there.
    Jim Cormier has given some great advice.
    Most importantly you need to know YOUR costs.
    All of them and then go from there.

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Bob, your too kind :blush:

Your right on going by sq ft, especially if your going to be doing alot of residential. I like all my treatments to be the same cost, easy for customers to compare and much easier for paper work and billing.

Once you figure all your cost, the next thing to do is to have your parents, friends, neighbors call, chemdog, lawn doc, and all your competition and have them get estimates to compare your prices with who your competing against.

4. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Clut - Getting your cost per 1000 is vital. I used to do this work for someone elses company and the owner had his prices broken down on a chart taped to the back of the estimate clip-boards...ex. 7.25 - 7.75 000s/f = $46.00 per app. He had a minimum cost and starting point of like 3.0 000 being $33 or something. Like James said, the customer likes to see the same cost per app throughout the year, so come up with a total cost per 1000 for a complete program and / 5. Just remember, when you get a potential customer that wants to sellect his own applications - in my experiance, its usually the liquid apps that cost you twice as much in materials, try to convince him he needs the total program and that those selected treatments might cost him more than the average of the 5 would. Good luck.

5. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

As Greenitup stated there are treatments that cost you more.
    Those are usually the ones customers will want the most.
    I sell entire programs with very few exceptions.
    I know there are those guys who will say sell a few and then upsell the rest.
    I Don't have time for that.
    If they want a lawn that is cared for they need to understand that the complete program does that not just a weed'n feed here and there.
    If a potential customer says I only want this and this I explain that while there are companies who do things that way, I will not.
    I then say "Mrs Smith, if I park my truck here in the spring and then your lawn looks awful in the fall your neighbor will remember that they saw me in spring and I must not be doing my job."

Time to make the grass grow,

Bob

6. clut0350

clut0350 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

OK, thanks guys. Lets see if I have this straight. The rep from lesco gave me a cost per 1000sq ft on each individual chemical being used in my 5-step. In my 5-step Appl# 2 is the same as app#4 so I addedthat cost twice (correct?) This is my total cost/1000sq ft for the entire 5-step program; $4.28/1000 sq ft. Does this sound about right? If so then I just figure up what I need to make above and beyond that correct? So if I charge $10/ 1000sq ft and I do an application to a 3000sq ft yard I would charge thirty dollars for each application and profitaround $17-$18 dollars per app.?
    This program cost total is minus any grub treatments figured in. He gave me that option but think i am only going to do a grub treatment if customer asks.

7. James Cormier

from Ma

4.28 per k, seems a little low, but you may not be applying as much, Example would be blanket weed controls, I budget for 2 blanket sprays per year. In most cases I dont do that so I have a nice cushion.

I think you really need to come up with a price program, like stated above. Heres a expample of what I do

3,000- $40.00 per app,$55.00 grub contol, $40.00 lime
    4,000- $52.00 per app, $67.00 grub control, $52.00 lime

I do this right up to 25k, After 25k I then switch to the price per k. I charge $32.00 for a 5 app program, $8.00 for grub ( must be done with a treatment ) and my lime is the same as a regular treatment, or $6.40 per k ( also must be done with a treatment)

Commerical work I add 10% to all those numbers.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying your prices includes for 2 blanket sprays per year? Do you mean SPOT spray for weeds or are you actually spraying the whole yard for weeds?

I assume TGL and others charge extra for weed spot spraying in your area so why wouldn't you lower your price per app. so customer is comparing apples to apples for price between you and TGL? Then the 2 blanket sprays is an extra charge. Do you have something in your brochure (assuming you give on out) that points out that TGL doesn't do these extra sprays for free?

9. James Cormier

from Ma

When I budget out my chemical cost, I plan on 2 blanket apps, thats just in house budgeting of prices. I also budget one blanket app of surface insect control. Up to 2000 I was still doing blanket apps of dursban or battle with rd 2's

Thats why my chemical cost per K is $8.50 per k, for my 5 app program.

I dont charge for service visits between apps for weed or insect control. Its included in my " program"

BTW, thats what I sell, is a " program" not just products that get put on the lawn. I explain the are many times I just apply fertilizer without anything else, weed, insect or curative grub controls are all applied as needed. So there not really paying for chemicals, there paying for my expertize and experience to apply the right stuff at the right time.

Thats how I can sell a customer over trugreed even when my prices are higher. I would never consider lowering my prices to be able to compete with them, or anybody else.

10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you are selling a "program" versus add-on selling then do you get customers who you call a lot when they see a few weeds and expect you to get rid of them with spray?
    It sounds like maybe one or two of your Spring apps includes preemergent with the fertilizer and then you do 2 blanket apps somewhere in between the 5 apps. step program if the customer calls about still have weeds in yard. Is this correct?

This is my first year that I am licensed so I am still learning the best way to sell fertilization/weed control program.

Do you give a brochure to the customer thats sets your "program" apart from TGL basic program?