Southwestern trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jsr2741, Feb 7, 2004.

1. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Guy I work with has a 20' Southwestern V-nose trailer with the side door that either swings open or drops down. It's one year old and all he did with it was haul his drag bikes.

He's asking $3500 for it which sounds good to me since a new flat nose Pace or United is going for around 4k.

No one I know of around here deals Southwestern trailers, so it begs the question. Are they a good brand of trailer.

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve:

There are only two or three basic parts that fail on trailers, wheel bearing, brakes, and axles. Though I am a pretty firm believer in Wells Cargo products for thier uniformity, there has been a tremendous influx of other brands in recent years. If the trailer looks tight, check out the brakes, and the wiring, find out who made them, and who deals those parts. I would probably replace them before you put the trailer in service

For a 20' Wells Cargo as you mentioned you are lookig at 7K, but I have to say, our first one is still in service after 18 years, no problems, other than a wheel wearing funny, and th usual brakes repairs.

I would look hard at it, and it sounds like a good buy.

3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a southwestern 7x16 enclosed. they use dexter axles, top quality.

4. jsr2741

Thanks fellas, thats what I needed to know. This guy is pretty particular about his stuff so I'm pretty sure it's in good shape.

5. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to mention that the Southwestern trailers come with a 5 year warranty when new. It might be transferable. I'd ask the seller about it.

6. jsr2741

Okay, thanks for the info.