1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Space between driveway and paver sidewalk

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JML, Apr 24, 2002.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

hello, i have a job i am bidding on where we are going to install a paver sidewalk right next to a asphalt driveway. The customer doesn't want any gap in between the two. What do some of you guys do when you come across a problem like this.

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

if i understand you correctly, your installing a walkway that will meet up to a driveway, and the customer doesn't want and un even transition? In that case you have a few options...
    1. use a little asphalt patch to fill in the void and make a smooth transition...
    2. cut the asphalt with a demo-saw so it is perfectly smooth and straight, that way the pavers will fit smoothly against the asphalt.
    3. tell the homeowner to re-pave his driveway !!!
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I vote for #2. The demo saw will make a nice edge to pave up to.
  4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

We've done both #1 and #2 with success.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah , I agree with the demo saw to make the nice clean edge on the asphault drive and then but the pavers up against it...Might be a nice upsell to try to get them for the paver lights too, be great addition along the driveway for safty and visibility...
  6. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Use the demo saw. If the pavement isn't quite flat and has undulations you can add or remove a little of the base under the asphalt to make a smooth transition to the pavers
  7. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

I gotta go with the saw cut, I avoid cold patch whenever possible.
  8. Bill Weaver

Bill Weaver LawnSite Member
    from NY

Saw cut for sure
  9. site

site LawnSite Member

Saw cut whenever possible. On the right walkway jobs we sometimes cut an intentional curve 6" into the asphalt at its deepest point, then lay the soldier course in a fan pattern to meet the curve.