1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John P., Nov 30, 2004.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

I'm am new to the business and very soon after starting up i found that space was a huge problem. Garage space and yard space. How many of you guys rent space to store things and how many of you guys have your own place to dump yard waste. I only have a one car garage, and no yard to dump any garbage.
  2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Inside space is always an issue. We an over sized 2 car garage and in it i have all the typical stuff like bikes work bench and then all of my equipment is in it also. 60"ztr, 48"w/b, push blower, 21", pressure washing, snow blower, etc. Space is tight but it fits. Next year I will either be looking at store space or an enclosed trailer. Rates around here are $100-$140 a month for storage (10x20). The way I see it, why not invest that into an enclosed trailer. If you buy a used one for say $2,000 you could use it and park it outside however you did say yard space was tight. But at the end of the year or years the trailer still has value unlike paying storage rent. Or see if you can mow the storage place and get free storage.
  3. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Not even room next to garage for a one car carport to put mowers and such?And what to you mean by garbage? Sticks and leafs?
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two car garage (old car in one) and one is just mowing equipment and find that we are out of room. We have two Scag ZTR's, 1 Toro 37in walkbehind, 2 Toro 21in mowers, 2 stihl blowers, 3 stihl weedeater, 4 chainsaws, hand tool, Kawasaki Mule, log spliter, pressure washer, two rolling tool boxes, grinder, dads toro wheel horse etc. etc. etc. I think that you can never really have enough room no mater how large of an area you have. We are hopefully going to buy an Isuzu NPR box truck, this way we will not have to pull a trailer around, unload everyday and it will be an answer to our storage problem.
  5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:waving: recently closed on a 3 acre property where i have put up a 4000 sq ft. shop. and a smaller building for 2 rentals. space here is very tough thats why i bought, i also dump on the property and i have a container company drop off a 40 yard dumpster and it is removed, dumped and brought back every 2 weeks. there is absolutely no place to bring grass, leaves and other cleanup stuff. i chip the trees and use that to soak up some of the water in areas where we cleared some woods. i also brought in mulch, and the most common stone we use. never thought how much more money i put away by buying the mulch right from the mulch company, wow. tony

the stone is also turning out to be a great saving too.
  6. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

We just cleaned out our garage after nine years! I couldn't believe all the trash that we accumulated over the years. I loaded my 18' trailer to the brim and took it to the dump... Now I have garage space!!

As far as getting rid of clippings etc., some cities offer a free dump for natural items...
  7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'm looking to do the same as Tony, (check your PM Tony). For now I rent a 1300 sq ft shop for $550 a month plus utilities. As far as dumping we go to the local recycling facility and pay between $10-$20 per truck load.
  8. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah i have no where to dump grass clipping stick and what not.
  9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

OOOPPPPS sorry Tony I forgot PM's are no more!!! :realmad:
  10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a couple of storage units. Both are 15x40. $100 bucks a month. It helps that my dad owns the storage company. I take my clipping etc to either the disposal company (free) or to the city maintenance building (also free).