Spacer Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pace lawn care, Mar 16, 2001.

1. pace lawn care

pace lawn care LawnSite Member

On my husquvarna the blades are about mid ways of the deck depth. It will not cut good over 3mph. Called Exmark and they brought me a demo and it cut well at 8or9 mph. I noticed the blades were at the bottom of the deck (almost even with bottom.) So I was wondering if I made a spacer for my blades and dropped them (an inch or 2) if this would work? Just get a longer bolt. Maybe it would not bend, thats the only problem I see. Anybody forsee another problem? What do you guys think?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Dixie Chopper uses a 1/2" spacer to move the blades down below the front of the deck a fuz and it cuts at higher speeds. They also have an adjustable front on the lower part of the deck so you can slide it down so you have less blow out. It would be worth a try to see if it helps. Get at least a grade 5 bolt, just take one of yours along and get 1/2" longer if you get 1/2" spacers. Make sure the spacer is about 2 1/2 to 3" wide to give the blade good support.

3. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

You could cut a steel sleave for it with a longer bolt but you might also get alot of vibration.

4. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

We had the same problem with our ransomes. We tried more spacers under the blades and it made things worse. Having experience with Exmark, it does help to have the blades lower, but this works because of the different deck design. Each mower is designed for a specific 'best' setup, we have gone with manufacturer recommendations to best suit our usual cutting conditions.

5. pace lawn care

pace lawn care LawnSite Member

Thanks guy's I'm gonna try it. Eric, I'm still going to look at a Dixie-Chopper next week. On the deisel, 60in cut, they said I could get it for 11,000. How does that sound?

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

E-mail Alimia.com for DC prices. I got an e-mail from them today stating that they have DC's, but they haven't put them on the web site yet.