Spacing residential rotors more than 40' feet

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

let's see, 42 x 82, use 23-foot radius low-angle rotors, shoot the corners, screw the head-to-head spacing, and you get six half-circle heads and one full-circle :p

(and count the seconds before Kiril's head explodes)

2. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

We really like them allot and maybe I am misunderstanding your flow?

To cover 42' your would need to use a black #4 nozzle and have 40 psi at the head. They use about a gallon more than RB says they do, so you would get 3 heads and at the most 4 on the zone. For me, that is just cutting it too close since we design to use 85% max of what the water supply is putting out.

It is possible if you go by the numbers, I just hate worry about whether it is going work until we turn the water on:hammerhead:

I am really interested to hear the outcome and you will really like the 5500 when you get a chance to use it. RB's new price on it makes it even better, plus the 3/4 swing joints save a little coin too.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

If I was to space these heads at 42' I would at least use the #5 nozzle and only put 2 heads per zone. Not sure if I would use the 5500 on this job. It probably would work but may just go with shorter spacing in the name of efficiency.

4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had 5004s do 50' on the rim of a retention pond. I did another job the other the same way you are talking. #4 nozzles for 42' at 45psi at the head. I had a 40x40 lawn and just used 4 rotors. I got the idea from one of kiril's post.

http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/chart_5000.pdf

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

So the #4's covered the 40' without dry spots?

6. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

It was head to head irrigation, installed zoysia sod and it is thick and beautiful.

Had good pressure and flow, valve was 10' from meter.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Square spaced rotors with the right size nozzles and verified adequate volume/pressure can do that. On the rare occasions that I am installing from scratch, that is how I space heads with a 10% derate for wind. I often run into systems where rotors are spaced like impacts assuming 100% coverage from head to end. So they are placed diagonal of each other, two heads in a square or rectangle. :hammerhead: Good way to kill a lawn in an area that only gets 20" of rain per year in a 365 day growing season.