1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spanish phrases for the Landscaping Industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowpart rep, Aug 17, 2006.

Should mowpart.com take "Spanish Phrases for the Landscape Industry" book off site?

1. Yes, Take the book off the site

2. I don't care either way

3. No I believe if used properly it should be made available

1. zima

zima LawnSite Member

Deverias dar el libro gratis like a (free brochure) a todos los que compremos partes y accesorios de tu negocio, pero en cambio quieres hacer mas dinero $ 24 dollars eso no suena nada bien,bueno espero tenga suerte con sus ventas , by the way do you have any english books i need to upgrade my vocabulary, and try to learn more english bcos my spanglish some times dosen't come to good . thank you.
  2. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I'll buy one if you lower the price. Online book purchasing doesn't command Barnes and Noble pricing.

How's that? :dancing:
  3. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Your thread title is "Spanish Phrases for the Landscaping Industry", which reads as "Learn Spanish so you can talk to your non-English guys about work"... to me anyway, and apparently many others.

So it seems that our outrage and your bewilderment is due to your not-so-clear original post.

If this book of yours will help Spanish-speaking employees communicate better by learning some English then I am allllllllll for it.
    I hope you sell them by the truckload.
    Alternatively, if the book is meant to teach us how to talk to them in Spanish... then I hope your headed to hell wearing gasoline soaked underwear. :angry: :laugh: :laugh:
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, Mr. Name Caller, you sure are making an ASSumption.

I have no problem with an American CITIZEN who speaks Spanish.

dvmcmrhp52 pretty much summarized my opinion. I'm sick of anyone and everyone who continues to kiss the rear-end of illegals, spanish-speaking or otherwise.

You can sit and bellyache about how "it's not going away, live with it". That kind of attitude will not get the problem fixed, ever. I'm not going to live with it, and it will continue to piss me off. Not so much the illegals themselves, I can't say I blame them.

It's the people in a position to correct the problem who make me the most angry. Because they're sitting and watching but doing nothing.
  5. mowpart rep

mowpart rep Sponsor

The thread title is confusing. It is the name of the book. That is why I made it the thread title. Hindsight is 20/20. Next time I will try to be more clear. This book works equally for learning English or Spanish. So far the poll is 4 against the book , 2 don't care, and 7 say it's ok to sell it if it is used properly. I like this type of debate I believe it is healthy to express different opinions. Friendly debate is one of the best ways to learn and reach new understandings.
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

oh my god. well i hope lawnsite dosent turn into wal-mart. every sentence will be translated into spanish and then like at wal-mart we have to flip the box around 3 times to find the english version .
  7. MLawns

MLawns LawnSite Member

I was surprised to hear on the world news this summer of some of the people we have deployed in Iraq and Afganistan that are not US citizens. They do however speak Spanish and fight for this country. They will become citizens when the time comes. No complaints. Provided they make it back. They want to better themselves and their families. BTW these people are bi-lingual, if they can learn a language to better themselves, why can't we learn one to better our companies? There will always be illegals and troublemakers. I wonder if anyone keeps stats on Americans doing the same thing? My son was a linguist in the service and I have a 7 yr. old grandson that is fluid in Chinese, Cambodian, English and now is learning SPANISH in school. I wonder if he would understand the reluctance to learn a little Spanish.
    I know we are flooded with illegals but the great thing about this country is our ability to adapt. I see nothing wrong with the book.
  8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you buy a whole bunch of "English for Dummies" books and sell them whole sale.

This catering to people who can't speak English crap is out of control.

You know what the worst is? It's bad enought you have to talk to automated services when you call anyone, but now i have to push a button to talk english!!!!! WTF????

Part of being a US citizen is learning the language. All you companies that hire illegals are only hurting yourself, especially if you get caught.

Make them learn english.
    Make them become a citizen and pay taxes.
    Make them perform their civic duties.
    Make them teach their children the same.

I know Spanish and took 6 years of it in school. Although I can't speak it fluently, plus i'm really out of practice....I can understand what people are trying to say.

I have alot of guys who come in my shop that don't speak good engish, but I refuse to speak spanish because I feel like I'm fueling the fire. The only advantage is that when they just can't say what they want in english, I can understand spanish enough to help them, then I tell them what they need in english. Surer than ****.........next time they come in, sometimes they actually remember!!!

9. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

free speech

edit reason: language
  10. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Speak english or walk away from me :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: