1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spare parts needs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Do you keep spindle bearings as part of your spare parts?

I have a 36" Exmark hydro Viking. The greasable bearings lasted for five seasons (700-900 service hours per season). They were a bit loose two years ago, so I replaced them. All new bearings are nongreasabale. The replacements lasted for 1 1/2 seasons - had to replace them mid-season this year. Both sides were loose.

Now, one set of bearings was loose again. I replaced them this morning.

I've heard others on this Forum talk about annual replacements. Perhaps I should expect less than two seasons from the nongreasable ones, therefore adopt the annual replacement policy.

Perhaps I have to take blame for the latest failure. When I made the changes during mid-season this year, I may have damaged the new bearing. Installation of the bearings was not difficult, nothing unusual. The set I replaced this morning were only running about 500 service hours, maybe a bit less. I knew it was loose, but hoping I could get another 30-40 hours to finish the season. But, the spindle was making too much noise, the blade too loose.

I'm keeping a set of bearings on the shelf as spare. Are my experiences unusual? Or, should I lobby the manufacturers to return to greasable bearings?

BTW, where can one buy a good set of punches for the tool box (e.g. large pin punch, drift punch, etc)?
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would rather replace the bearing than have to grease it forever. I grease everyday here, and for the cost would rather have non greasable.
  3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

wow!!!! I have a 95 and 96 scag wb both with 2500 hrs. Never replaced spindle bearing. greasable ones. I have been checking them expecting them needing to be replaced, but they are tight and make no noise. Also have a lazer with sealed bearings w/ 900 hrs and they too are tight and make no noise.

I think I read on here a week or so ago that someone had a mower that the deck wore thru and still had the original bearings in the spindles. That is what I am shooting for.
  4. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Roger, you can get a good set of punches at Sears. Almost all of my tools ( hand tools ) are Craftsman, and are pretty darn good tools.

Now, you say you need a set of punches. Are you hammering theses precision bearings into their housings? I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but you really should press them in.:)

If you don't have a arbor press you might be able to use a vice.

I just use two straight pipe couplers ( nipples will work too ), one a little bigger than the inner race, and one smaller than the outer race, and about three inches long.;)

Just my 2c.:D
  5. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Sockets work well for pressing bearings in and I very rarly punch any bearings in, it is not good on the uniformity of the bearing at all.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

No, I don't hammer the new bearings into place, but need punches/hammer to get the old ones out. I don't care if I do further destruction on the old bearings. My "press" for getting the new ones into place: use the blade bolt with sufficient spacers so that the new bearings are drawn into place with full contact. It took me awhile to find the right combination of spacers, etc, but the scheme works well and does not impact the bearing.

I primarily have Craftsman tools in my box (sockets, screwdrivers, end wrenches, etc), but thought there might be a better place for punches. I asked a mechanic from an autobody shop (been in business for years, knows his tools) and he made the Craftsman suggestion too. He has a set of punches from MacTools, but $150. Too pricey for my limited needs.

... new bearings work great. Now I just need more rain-free days to finish the season.