Spare parts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eslawns, Apr 7, 2001.

1. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering what you guys think about keeping spare parts. I usually keep spare belts and PM parts and some other stuff. I don't want a warehouse, but it seems every time I call my dealer, they just sold their last one. Sometimes I can't wait.

I'm thinking of getting spare blades, bushings, bearings, tires, belts, filters, cord, spindles, muffler, hardware, and a transmission. I'd like to order a year's supply of stuff at one time.

Opinions?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Always a good idea to keep tire and rim combos on the truck.
    This way all you have to do is bolt on the tire and rim, less down time...

3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not in the lawn care profession - generally I "hang out" in the snowplowing section and the same idea applies in that field: When something breaks, you need parts NOW. Preventive maintenance is necessary too, but sometimes no matter what you do things will break in use.

How much money and space you can afford to have tied up in parts (like you said, you don't want a warehouse) is one thing to consider when putting together your spares inventory.

Another is what parts (based on your experience) are you most likely to need, and how fast can you get them from your supplier(s)?

Having the parts on hand to get your equipment back into service right away is always good planning.